Chapter Eight

Authors' note: Hey hey, we know it's been long, so hopefully this will be a very exciting chapter that makes you lovely readers satisfied!

I walk silently towards Poposi Academy alone, head in the clouds due to Anu's previous reaction. He's always been one to conceal his emotions, and I've always been one to let him be. Yet, if this is a mission that even he is concerned of, the often careless, unbothered Anu, then maybe I should be less relaxed about it. I rack my head for any possibility of why he could've been so doubtful - connections, experiences, anything - but call it quits when my mind still draws a blank. Stuffing my hands into my pocket, I glance at the lifeless walkway, feeling the sharp cold metal against my fingertips.

"Prince Gion of Italy..." The name sounds fragile and weak; killing him will be easy. I can't imagine why Anu was so malaise about this mission. Sighing, I start walking towards the cold white barrier where the prince is contained.

A school, huh... I've never actually felt the joy of going to school, never had friends to bond with, never wanted to open up to enjoy life with the only friend I had. Now that relationship is gone too - though deep down, I wanted her to forgive me, wanted our relationship to be back to the way it was, but those are all hopeless dreams that I am never going to achieve, that we are never going to achieve. I clenched my fists tight, the feeling of helplessness bubbling up again, as it always does whenever I have time to think.

Sometimes I wish I could silence my brain and not let one thing lead to another round of endless overthinking about hundreds of things. Because even though I spent half my life as Carlotta, the Aella in me is moulded by all the nice things I've seen from others. And the experiences of those nice things eventually build what I hate the most.

Weakness.

Closing my eyes for a brief while before opening them again. I rake a hand through my hair, stepping into the academy. Su Jung and the others must have reached the place where we're staying already. Tugging my hair behind my ear, a familiar voice sounded by my ear, "Carla? Is that you?" Don't tell me it's...

I turn around and locks of blonde hair is the first thing I see. I put on a pleasant enough expression, and try my best to keep calm. "Hello, Charles..." I say in Carla's usual pensive tone, doing my best to act shy and embarrassed. He gives me a chuckle at my tone, reaching out to pet my head. At the gesture, I flinch, but disguise it by settling into fits of cough.

"Sorry, cough, I think I'm, cough, actually going sick," I smile weakly. Waving my hand around to excuse myself as I proceed with another round of fake coughs, I meet Charles' concerned eyes. "Carla, do you want me to take you to your room?"

"No, I'm fine, really," I brush him off, "I can go back myself." Then, with a polite bow, I leave the scene without waiting for Charles' response.

Yet, just when I think I've managed to get rid of Charles, his hand extends to grab me by the arm. I nearly fall behind at the force he uses, crashing straight into his chest with the back of my head. As a reflex, I freeze, every muscle in my body tensing. Then, Charles' voice sounds right beside my ear.

"Carla, are you still mad about last time?"

"Last time...?" I whisper, but quickly follow up so as to not make him doubt, "No, no! Of course not." Charles' head comes to rest on my shoulder, his grip on my arm still steady. "Really..? I thought I was too harsh..."

What even happened last time!?!?

"It's fine, Charles," I say, trying to push him off and keeping my voice steady at the same time. I feel his head tilting on my shoulder, but before I can react a figure from the shadow lurches towards me.