The BAU Is Like A Family

❤️

"Did you know that Doctor Who was so popular that it-" Spencer began to rant. There was a split second where his left hand flapped at his side. He smiled widely, thinking the information he wanted to get out was fun, even for Seaver.

"Sorry." She said, rolling her eyes.

"For what?" Spencer redirected his train of thought to understand Seavers words.

"For asking." She walked away from the coffee station that they were standing in front of and sat back down in her seat.

Spencer looked at his feet. He didn't exactly know what 'sorry I asked' meant, because Seaver didn't ask him to talk. But he did know she was annoyed by what he was going to say.
He blushed embarrassingly at being cut off. He knew he talked too much, and most of the time, didn't know when he was supposed to stop. So he understood that he needed to be redirected or stopped sometimes. But he still preferred it to be done nicely, not in a rude or joking manner.

Spencer left his coffee cup at the refill station and curled up on the couch deemed his. His knees were to his chest as he rested his head on top of them.

Seaver sat back in her seat, not taking another glance at Reid. She chuckled softly to herself at what she said. It was funny to her, and only her.

"Doctor Reid's quite the character, huh?" She smirked, talking low enough that Morgan and Hotch across from her, Emily sitting next to her, and probably JJ and Rossi at her left could hear her. But not Reid at the other side of the jet.

None of them responded to what Seaver said. They momentarily glanced up from their things to look at her, but didn't say anything. They had all heard what she said to Reid, and they all had the same idea.
If she was going to be rude to their family as an outsider, than they'd be rude to her as her superiors.

Seaver didn't know why her coworkers didn't respond to her, but she didn't pry.

Once they were off the jet, and packing their things up to go home, Seaver tried to converse with the BAU again.

"I had no idea you guys were away for so long on cases." She chuckled, hauling her duffle bag over her shoulder as she walked with Morgan and Emily to the elevator.

"I didn't ask." Emily rolled her eyes, mimicking what Seaver had done earlier with Spencer.

She was taken aback a little by Emily's words. She thought it was rude and uncalled for, but she didn't say anything. It wasn't uncommon for senior agents to dislike newbies, and Seaver was definitely a newbie. She just tried to laugh about it, but once they got to the elevator, Morgan refused to let her inside of it.

"Sorry, the thing gets stuck if too many people are in it at once." It was obviously a lie, and he made it sound like he was lying. He didn't even try and make it sound believable. He wanted to make it clear that he was being rude.

"Yeah, sure." Seaver nodded, not attempting to argue.

"Guys, wait for me!" Reid said, stumbling over his feet as he hurriedly made his way over to the elevator.

To add salt to the wound, Morgan held the elevator door for Reid, and made plenty of room for him.
Him and Emily gave death glares to Seaver as the doors closed. Spencer hadn't even noticed that the new agent didn't get in the elevator with them, and just happily ranted to his friends.

Seaver swallowed thickly as she tried to breakdown her coworkers behavior. It was obvious they didn't like her, but during the whole case they seemed to work fine with her. It wasn't until after the plane ride back that they started to give her the silent treatment.

As she pondered this, and waited for the elevator, Hotch called her from his office.

"Agent Seaver, can you please come here?" He said.

"Uh, yes sir. I'll be right up." She replied, abandoning the elevator and making her way up to her bosses office on the upper deck of the bullpen.

When she was almost there, she heard JJ call her name.

"Hey, can you come here?" She said.

"Oh, sorry. Hotchner wanted me to-" she began, getting cut off.

"Don't worry about that. You can talk to him after. This won't take long." JJ knew what Hotch was going to say, so she figured she'd get her piece in as well.

"Alright..." Seaver said skeptically, hoping she wouldn't get in trouble for ignoring her bosses request.

"Sit down, please." JJ smiled, a motherly aura around her. She seemed calm and loving even though she was about to instill the fear of god into Seaver.

Because of her behavior, the rookie agent sat down optimistically, immediately about to ask about Morgan and Emily.
"Are agent Prentiss and agent Morgan always untrusting of new agents?" She said, a chuckle in her words to defuse the anxiousness in her voice.

"No, they're only like that with you." JJ said blatantly.

"Oh..." Seaver replied, surprised by that answer. She was expecting reassuring advice but got that instead.

"But I want to give you some advice, from one female agent to another." JJ began. Seaver stood at attention. "Everyone in the BAU is like a family; Hotch, Rossi, Morgan, Emily, Reid." JJ emphasized the last name, "And we take care of each other, and protect one another." JJ paused to make sure Seaver was absorbing everything.

"That's...very nice." She replied, not sure what to say.

"So we don't tolerate any derogatory or offensive actions towards any of our agents."

Seaver sighed, thinking JJ had reassured her that Morgan and Emily's behavior would be dealt with. She had no idea she was referring to her.
"Thank you." She said.

"No problem. Now get to Hotch before he turns you inside out." JJ smiled, excusing the new agent.

She left, and walked a few steps to be in front of Hotch's office. She let herself in, and was met with not only her boss, but also Rossi.

"Sorry, JJ held me up with something." She smiled nervously. She was expected to receive a performance review about her fist case, but why was Rossi there?

Hotch and Rossi took a more direct approach, than the others in informing Seaver on what she did wrong.

"You did phenomenal on the case today, but I do have some constructive criticisms." Hotch said.

"Yes, of course." That complement boosted Seavers confidence, and relaxed her. She wasn't as nervous about this anymore.

"Do you remember how you spoke with Doctor Spencer Reid on the plane back?" Rossi asked, standing next to Hotch as he sat in his office chair.

"Um, yes?" She replied, not sure how this was relevant.

"We don't tolerate any mistreatment of our agents, Ms. Seaver." Hotch addressed her without her agent title, and that scared her.

"Of-of course, sir."

"When Spencer is ranting, or about to, and you don't want to hear what he has to say, then politely cut him off. Don't make a joke about it and embarrass him." Rossi informed. "He likes to talk, it makes him excited. So when he rants on about an unrelated topic, softly redirect him or excuse yourself from the conversation."

"Yes, sir." Now Seaver understood. What JJ said about the BAU being a family. She was right. "I apologize for how I acted."

"Good. And if you're wondering, that's why everyone else has been giving you the cold shoulder." Hotch smirked.

Seaver chuckled nervously.

"You're just a probationary agent here at the BAU, so you won't be here permanently, but it's still best to make friends here." Hotch said as a goodbye, excusing Seaver to leave his office.

Making her way back to the elevator, it was obvious that Reid was the baby of the group.