CHAPTER 38

3 weeks later
Alessio's pov~

My head was buried in Ayla's pillow. It still smelled like her. I refused to have It washed. I needed something ot her, and her sweet vanilla smell was the only thing left ot her.

I inhaled and felt my eyes burn. I felt pathetic. But I was too far gone. Almost three months without Ayla and I was slowly losing myself. Every day, it was worse. Every day, it got harder untill I didn't know how to live anymore. I forgot to eat. Sometimes I even forgot to sleep. Just stared at the wall, lost in the memories of my Angel.

I never stopped searching. Not a single day. But no matter how much I searched, how far I looked, she was nowhere to be seen. It was as if she never existed. Never here. Sometimes I wondered if it was all a dream. I wondered if she had really been here. With me But she was here. I could still smell her. See her sometimes. Hear her laughter and sweet voice. She was everywhere but still gone.

And I was empty without her.

Was that how my father and Isaak felt?

The whole house had been in a despairing mood. Nobody really talked. We all stopped caring about everything else. The only one we cared about and thought about was Ayla.

Maddie lost a friend who was more like a sister. To Lena, Ayla was a daughter. Another child to pamper and love. My men felt like a failure. While I lost the woman who was my everything.

With a sigh, I rolled to my back and stared at the ceiling Through my pain, I thought about what Ayla was going through. Her pain was no comparison to mine. It hurt more knowing that she was hurting. My pain didn't matter, but hers did.

Alberto used to call, but it had been three weeks since his last call. Three weeks of nothing but silence from the other side. I realized that I was somewhat thankful for his daily call. At least I knew Ayla was alive. Now, I didn't know. I knew nothing, and all I could do was hope. But hope was such a silly emotion. How could I hope when I felt so helpless and hopeless? lt was all jaded hope.

Instead of hoping, I chose to believe in our love. Maybe it was strong enough to keep Ayla alive. I knew that when I found her, Ayla would never be the same again. But I also knew that when the time came, I wasn't going to give up on her. I would heal her again, like I did before. I would teach her how to live again, how to Smile, laugh, ana love again.

Alberto may have clipped her wings, but I was going to make sure she would fly again.

                    2 weeks later

I stood in the driveway and watched Nikolay going through the lock, and then the door opened. I walked inside the house, my men following behind me. The house was quiet, almost seeming empty. But the woman in the living room betrayed the perception of the house being empty.

Her back was to us, and at the sound of our footsteps, she swiveled around quickly, her hand going to her chest in panic. Her eyes flared in fear, and she took several steps back, hitting the wall behind her.

"Hello, Anna," I started, walking further into the house, making the air seem more dangerous and deadly. Anna trembled against the wall, her whole body quaking with terror. To say was surprised that she came back was an understatement. She must have know what to expect the moment she stepped foot back into New York, but she still returned. And now she would lead us right to Enzo.

"How was your trip?" I asked, taking a seat on the sofa in front of her. I sat back and crossed my ankle on my opposite knee, watching her reaction.

"You..what..are..?" she stuttered, looking wildly around the room and at my men. She looked for an escape, but there was none. Not this time it didn't stop her from trying, though. She ran into the kitchen, and I sighed in frustration.