8. lick your scooper

- Nicole had missed a day of work due to her grandma wanting to spend time with her -

"Ahoy there!" Nicole said walking into the back room to see Robin and Steve sat seriously in silence.

"Geez I miss one day and you tw-"

Just then Dustin came in and didn't even acknowledge her presence and started rambling on about how the Russians didn't want anyone finding "it" whatever that was.

Robin started spitting out theories on how to get past the guards which made Steve perk up.

"Well you know I could just take him out"

"Take who out?"

Robin replied to Steve and he explained how he would sneak up behind the guard and knock him out but Dustin reminded him that he hasn't won a fight in the past two years, that and the guards have guns.

"Okay hello? Does anyone want to fill me in?"

They all looked at Nicole as if she was a ghost and asked when she had gotten there

"I have been here for like a solid 5 minutes I came in before Dustin?"

"You did?" Dustin said turning his body around to face her.

Great even Dustin didn't see her.

"You know what- whatever have fun with your little Russian game I'm gonna be on counter duty you two, stay in the back"

Nicole said before rolling her eyes and walking out to the front, she was excited to see her friends but they didn't seem too happy to see her.

————-
"What's her problem?" Dustin Said as Nicole marched out.

"Well you heard her we didn't even notice she was there.. maybe this is wrong and they aren't even Russians" Steve said looking really confused.

"Why would they not be Russians they have- guns!" Dustin replied and Robin gave an annoyed look.

"So anyone who owns a gun is Russian? Kid that's like half of our country !" Robin said looking at Dustin but before he could speak Steve cut him off.

"I know you think you have evil Russians on tape Dustin but maybe there isn't really anything going on.."

Dustin looked at Steve confused as to why he wasn't all in one the idea since they had literally dealt with monsters from another world so why was it so hard to believe there were Russians in Hawkins?

"Look Steve. I know you're getting all discouraged because your "lady friend" wink- is out there upset about this whole evil Russian thing but this is real and I know. In my gut they are evil"

The two had an intensely awkward stare down before Robin cut them off.

"That and summers almost over and it is so boring and hot this is like the only fun thing that has happened to me- so will ya just go along for a little longer?"

Robin said and Dustin agreed with her and they puppy dog eyed their way into getting Steve to agree to help them.

"Fine. But you two stay back here and I'll go check on Nicole"

"Oh yeah way to be the knight in shining armor Steve" robin said feeling a lang of jealousy start to swarm over her.

"That should be me checking up on her" Robin thought before Dustin snapped her out of it and they continued to work on the clues.
-
"This is such bullshit." Nicole whispered to herself angrily wiping the counter to scoop up some pink sprinkles she had dropped.

She felt her eyes grow a little hot and blurry from the tears that were forming. As she was looking down leaned over the counter she let the tears fall and just cursed to herself.

She had finally, finally made friends in this god awful town and they didn't notice she was there half the time.

Nicole continued to slowly let her tears fall from her face and picking up the fallen sprinkles and throwing them in the trash when she saw shoes next to hers.

She looked up seeing Steve's concerned face and tried to wipe her tears but before she could he grabbed her face and wiped them for her.

They didn't really need to say much. And Nicole didn't feel like talking so the two just hugged and stayed like that.

Steve's kinda gesture was enough to make Nicole break down and hug him back tightly crying just a little into the nape of his neck.

Steve calmed her down rubbing her back and swaying just a little.

The two slowly looked at each other realizing just how close they were to each other's lips. Nicole felt Steve looking at hers and she couldn't help but look at his.

"What is happening to me. I like girls"

Before Nicole could stop the tension, Robin did. She came running out the door and grabbed a fist full of tips before she could explain she made a grossed out face at the pair hugging, in front of costumers.

"Ew gross no PDA go wash your hands" she said and inside it hurt her just a little that she couldn't be like that with Nicole.

The two awkwardly let go of each other not realizing that there were costumers in seats in front of them probably watching them do that whole awkward sway hug thing.

Steve started to walk around the counter to Robin but she told him to stay put. And like a dog he listened and looked like a little upset puppy that couldn't follow its owner.

"I need cash" she started saying and Dustin came from behind the back room.

"We'll half of that's mine!" Steve said "whee you going?" He was starting to whine at this point.

"To find a way into that room, a safe way. And, in the meantime, sling ice cream, behave, and don't get beat up! I'll be back in a Jiff" Robin said before storming off with a bunch of tips.

Nicole watched as Robin ran away and then looked back at Steve and Dustin being just an adorable duo.

Dustin had licked the left over ice cream on his scooper and Steve and took it back muttering something to him and spinning the scooper and putting it back into his holster.

Nicole didn't know what it was about the spinning thing but it made her blush and she took it out of his holster.

"Aw come on man not you too"

"I'm washing it. Don't worry I wouldn't like your scooper"

Nicole said and walked to the back thinking back on what she said feeling a little awkward and embarrassed.

"I wouldn't lick your scooper?" Why would anyone say that.

Nicole rolled her eyes and groaned going to wash his scooper and hands.

-

After a couple of 20 minutes had passed and Dustin and Steve were in the back playing a little game only the two of them knew how and Nicole in the front serving costumers Robin had came back.

"Robin you're back!" Nicole said smiling at her but Robin didn't even acknowledge her presence she just looked at her and walked to the back.

Nicole was a little embarrassed but continued to smile with her best costumer service smile.

sorry for not uploading sooner😞