Chapter Five

The minute Joe MacKensey got to First Aid and saw Casi’s pale face, he felt his heart skip a beat. “What happened?”

Casi shook her head, saw like Catherine, Ethan had followed as well. So had the twins. Then she saw Jason. “Jason, where’s Chris?”

“I don’t know.”

She could hear the panic she felt in his voice. “We rode Terror, the fourth dimension coaster. We’d ridden it twice earlier today and nothing happened, but this time, Chris passed out. Two medics came to get him but the chief medic guy, Peter Cornell, confirmed he didn’t send those two. And he said a medic cart was missing.”

“You were together?”

“Yeah, but we got separated when they were putting riders in seats…” Jason frowned. “I think it’s because that guy left.”

“What guy?”

“Some guy right in front of Chris while we were in line. He was telling us how the smaller coaster was put inside the area Racer goes around. And then this other guy ran full tilt into Chris, knocking him to the ground. He said he tripped over something and he apologized. The first guy was rude and shoved him away, then kept talking rude until a lady told him to watch his language in front of her daughter.”

Ethan frowned. “Classic distraction.”

Jason looked at his uncle. “What?”

Joe sighed. “It’s a simple effective way to take your eye off the prize or get you to focus your attention elsewhere.”

“Bet you dollars to donuts, the guy who knocked Chris down, used something that would knock Chris out, while on the ride. Voila, you call for medics, they show up and take him, you don’t think any different until too late.” Ethan shook his head. “Done all the time.”

Casi swallowed hard. “Most of the time to poison someone.”

Jason saw his dad look at her with the strangest expression and slowly shake his head. He turned to Jason. “Was your brother completely unresponsive?”

“Not even a groan.”

“We have to find him,” said Casi.

“This park is big, and I’m sure there are dozens of places to hide someone…if he’s even still here.”

John Quinlan walked up with two men. One was dark-haired with a slick mustache, the other taller with sandy hair. “Josiah Greer, Jack Brewer, two of my best security officers. We’ve got a team going over every inch of the park and it’s locked down.”

Ethan looked over at him. “You can do that?”

“Not for very long. Pretty soon, I’ll be getting reports of complaints. We have to find your son,” he said, glancing first at Casi, then Joe. “I’ll worry about the complaints another day.”

Joe looked around. “Where’s your niece?’

“She took Anna Salter home.” John gave Joe a long look. “Why do you ask?”

“She was targeted yesterday, someone stole her bag. I was just wondering if maybe there was a connection.”

John slowly shook his head. “I don’t know why she would be targeted. The poor girl’s had it rough. My brother and sister-in-law were killed in a boating accident on Westfield River a year ago.”

“Are you her legal guardian?”

John nodded. “Yes. It was at my brother’s request.”

“Did you co-own the park?” asked Ethan.