Chapter 6

Maddie's POV

I hurried to Mackenzie's bedroom where I found her sleeping peacefully. "Mackenzie!" I shrieked.

With her eyes fluttering open, she grouchily complained, "What?"

"Explain this, now," I ordered, pointing to my head.

"Explain what?"

"I think you know what I'm talking about."

"No, I really don't know. You look better than you ever have," she 'complimented'.

With that, I left Kenzie's room. Truthfully, everything is my fault, so she really does have someone to blame if my mom asks why she chopped off my hair. Not that my mom would, of course.

I grabbed a light pink fleece sweater and threw it on over an undershirt and skinny jeans. Skipping down the steps, I heard my mom call my name.

"I'm right here," I assured her.

"Oh, good," she breathed. My mom seemed to be in a better additude towards me today. Weird.

Grabbing a bowl out of the cupboard, I poured myself a bowl of cereal. I poured in the milk and found a spoon so I could actually eat the cereal. Oddly enough, I finished the whole bowl in two minutes.

"What happened to your hair?" my mom finally asked.

"Mackenzie chopped it off last night after I fell asleep," I said before I can even think.

"Hm," is the response I received.

I walked back upstairs to grab my backpack. Placing my school supplies in my backpack from using them for homework and cutting, I hurried back downstairs again to hop in the car.

I waited in the car for about ten minutes before I spotted my mom heading towards my door. "Kenzie isn't feeling well, can you take the bus?" she inquired.

"Mom, I'm too late for the bus! Can't you just drive me?"

"No, Kenzie can't stay by herself when she's sick, you know that," she replied.

"Well how am I supposed to get to school?" I questioned.

"I guess you'll have to walk or ride your bike," my mom said as she walked back inside.

Remembering that school is a half hour drive from our house, I decided to ride my bike. This is going to be a long ride.

Finally, about an hour later, I nervously walked into my English class.

Noticing me arrive, Mrs. Summers addressed, "Miss Ziegler, you're late."

"I'm sorry, my sister's sick and she can't stay home alone when she's not feeling well," I informed her.

"And?"

"I had to ride my bike," I answered.

"Please sit in your seat, I will finish talking to you about this later," Mrs. Summers instructed.

Taking a seat at a desk, I tried my best to keep up with everyone from being late.

Later at lunch, I spotted Kalani motioning for me to come sit with her. I've never talked to her much, but I headed over to sit with her anyways.

"Hey," Kalani greeted once I made it over to where she was sitting.

"Hi," I answered. As I sat down, I noticed that Brynn Rumfallo was sitting with her. I waved to her.

"Have you ever talked to Brynn before?" Kalani asked.

"Yeah, a few times," I responded.

"Good, I don't have to introduce you two," Kalani smiled.

I smiled and asked, "Are you on a vacation or something, Brynn?"

"Sorta, I'm visiting here for a few months. My mom wanted me to go to a school and then Kalani asked if I would want to come here with her," Brynn replied.

"Oh, that's fun!" I gushed.

"Yeah, not really. I would rather not do school while I'm visiting."

"I guess I probably wouldn't want to do school on a vacation either."

"What are you two talking about? School is the best!" Kalani exclaimed. Brynn and I exchanged glances. Typical Kalani, she loves basically everything.

Opening my lunch bag, I pulled out the lunch I packed last night. Earing my peanut butter sandwich, I stare out the window. I so wish it was summer, it would be a perfect summer day without snow.

Reading my mind, Brynn remarked, "Don't you wish it was summer right now?"

"Yes!" I enthusiastically shouted. A few heads turned to find who yelled as I shrank lower in my seat. "Oops?" I said.

"That was enthusiastic," Kalani observed.

"Sorry, I hate snow and school," I apologized.

Kalani rolled her eyes. "No need to apologize, I wasn't saying it was bad," she grinned.

"Okay, good."

"So, who's going to Nuvo this weekend?" Brynn changed the subject.

"I am," I replied.

"Me too," Kalani announced.

"Yay! We're all going," Brynn beamed.

"Great!" I exclaimed. "Are you two both performing solos?"

"Yep," they both responded in unison.

"Are you?" Kalani wondered.

"No," I sighed.

"Oh, that's too bad," Brynn sympathized.

"It's okay, I don't have solos too often," I told her.

Signaling that lunch was over, the bell rang.

"Well, I guess we should probably get going. See both of you this weekend?" Kalani inquired.

"Definitely," I said.

"Why wouldn't I?" Brynn asked.

"'Kay, see you at Nuvo, then!" Kalani waved.

With that, all of us headed in different directions. Heading towards my writing class, I accidentally bumped into someone. After I fell, I looked up to see who it was.

"I'm so sorry," he apologized as he helped me back up.

"No, no, it's fine. I'm always bumping into someone."

"At least I know it's not me then," he said. "Just kidding," he laughed when he noticed my funny look. "I'm Josh, Josh Hyland."

"Maddie," I nodded. Finding that we were the only two people left in the hallways, I said, "I guess I need to get to my next class."

"Okay, see you around, Maddie!" Josh called after me.

Thankfully, nobody said a word about my short hair today.

AUTHOR'S NOTE
Sorry about Maddie's language in the last chapter. I know she would never ever say something like that.

What do you think about this chapter? Was it okay?

I added Brynn in the story! (because you totally can't tell *sarcasm*) She is one of the best dancers on this planet. Ooh! Should I make a fanfic about some of the girls from Club Dance? That would make an awesome story:) Whoops, getting off track...

Anyways, vote, comment, add to library, add to reading list, etc.

xoxo,
dancer634♡