Chapter 8

"Okay, girls, listen up!" Miss Abby ordered. "You have some tough competition today, I need you to do your best. Can you do that for me?"

"Yes," we replied in unison.

"Good, now today we have the group dance first, so finish getting ready," Abby announced.

I already had my group costume on and my makeup finished, because Abby taught all the moms how to do the makeup for this dance once we all arrived at the competition.

Excited about our dance, I started stretching. Everyone else was already stretched and ready to practice. Deciding I should probably practice with the other girls, I stood up from my straddle.

Chloe is the captain for our group dance today, which meant that she had the music to practice with. I heard the music start, so I looked around and spotted Christi holding out Chloe's phone so we could hear the music.

"Next up, number one forty-two, Frozen Together," the announcer announced.

Panicking, I paced back and forth backstage.

Where's Chloe? She's supposed to be here right now.

"Girls!" I heard Miss Abby call.

Why is she backstage? Isn't she supposed to be watching us?

"Entry one forty-two, Frozen Together," the announcer's voice boomed again.

"Maddie," Abby addressed, holding my shoulders, "Chloe's not feeling well, I need Kalani to take her parts and you to take Kalani's. You know her part, right?"

"Yes," I replied.

"Good, now go spread the news to Kalani," Miss Abby smiled. I grinned in respond and skipped over to Kalani to tell her what was going on.

"Is entry-" the announcer started just as we walked onstage.

{watch video}

The whole entire dance, I felt like magic. I stumbled once or twice because I started to do my parts instead of Kalani's, but I guess it went okay.

"Good job, girls!" Abby congratulated once we arrived back at the dressing room. "Kalani, thank you for taking Chloe's part. Maddie, thanks for taking Kalani's part."

"You're welcome," we both answered.

"Maddie, since Kalani already has a solo this week, I need you to perform Chloe's solo," Abby explained.

"Okay, I can do it," I readily responded.

Handing me Chloe's solo costume, Abby whispered in my ear, "If you forget a part, it's okay. You weren't taught the dance and I know you're good at improvising."

I was utterly shocked. Abby has always been rude to me, and now she's giving me a main-ish part, a solo, and telling me that I can improvise if I forget a part.

"Okay." After Abby walked away, I quickly changed into the beautiful pink costume. I added a few safety pins in some looser places, but otherwise, the costume fitted perfectly.

I didn't have time to practice, so I headed backstage with Kalani and Mackenzie, who also had solos.

When we were backstage, I watched both Kalani's and Kenzie's solos. It was weird, because at this competition, Kalani and I are in the same age category. They must have different age ranges.

"Next up, number two seventy-four, please welcome Chloe to the stage with Happiness."

I walked a few steps onstage into Chloe's starting pose.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Yay! Almost to the end! Are you excited or sad? I think I'm kinda both. I'll probably update again tomorrow, which will have Maddie's/Chloe's solo in it.

Vote, comment, follow, add to library, add to reading list, etc.

xoxo,
dancer634♡