Chapter Ten

Things in Cousins always seemed to make sense the weather, the ocean, the people. Everything always happens for a reason, or at least that's what I always thought.

I never understood why my mom divorced my dad but I figured it was because she was unhappy.  I didn't understand why Susanne was always painting until Conrad told me she had cancer. I didn't understand why Conrad had kissed me. 

But something I didn't understand more was why I had kissed him back? I mean what would I even tell Belly? Sure she has a boyfriend now but I'm guessing those feelings haven't left, I mean how could they? Conrad was the boy everyone wanted he was mysterious and confusing. I never wanted to be a part of everybody. I never wanted to long for Conrad Fisher. 

Yet here I am longing for the kiss that had now changed the way I looked at him forever.

Walking downstairs I notice the quietness has taken over the house, I never noticed how when it gets quiet you hear the little things like the refrigerator running or how you can hear the waterfall into the pool splashes loudly enough to be heard inside. I never hear these things because honestly it's never been here when it was this quiet, not even as a kid. 

Walking into the kitchen I notice a note sitting proudly alone on the counter, a pen sitting near, I walked up to read the note and read.

'Susanna and I have gone to the bookstore, we'll be back sometime later tonight, and try not to stay bottled up in your room k?' 

I guessed Jere and Steven had gone to work along with Belly since she still was doing the debutant thing that Susanna had somehow confined her to do. I was happy though, she was getting out of her comfort zone. 

I tried not to think of where Conrad would be but I couldn't help that my mind did start to wonder? 

But my thoughts were soon answered when I heard the front door being opened and I could hear footsteps getting closer to the back of the house. When Conrad had finally come into view I put on my best fake smile.

"Oh hey Con, what's up?" Really Dawn? What's up? That's all you have to say.

Now I tried really well to act normal as if nothing happened. But apparently Conrad wasn't on the same page with the big smile that was now plastered across his face as if he had just won the lottery.

"Hey, Dawn I came to your room this morning but you looked too peaceful to wake." He spoke while taking a bite out of an apple he grabbed from the large fruit bowl that was centered on the glass dining table. 

He came into my room? Okay is today fuck with Dawn's mind day or something, because honestly, that would be the only reasonable explanation. I mean seriously what is up with him. I haven't seen his smile this much since the 8th-grade summer bonfire when we all brought water guns and shot each other for what felt like hours. 

"Jeez Dawn stop overthinking things, I was just gonna ask if you wanted to go for a morning swim?" Am I overthinking things? Because if my life were a movie and I was watching it from a viewer's perspective I would totally be freaking out because I mean who in their right mind kisses someone and then acts like it didn't happen, actually matter of fact who kisses their best friend. Especially if that best friend is supposed to have absolutely zero feelings for them.

"Now you are rambling in your head overthinking things." How does he know everything?

"I'm not overthinking anything Con, I mean what is there to overthink you came into my room to go swimming that's normal, right that's normal." Did he notice I was rambling?

"I mean yeah Dawn, If It wasn't normal I wouldn't have done it." Oh, year Conrad? I would have said that was true but your actions yesterday are questionable, actually more than questionable they were just stupid and not normal. Because news flash best friends, excuse me platonic best friends really don't kiss. 

"Yeah, I mean obviously." He totally knew I was rambling. 

"Okay well since our moms are a way for the day maybe we can go now, or unless you want to go and hide in your room some more?" Is that an option?

"Nope." For actual fucks sake Dawn.

"Nope, what?" 

"Nope as in that's not a problem, not nope as in I won't go." Shit "Yes, I will go Con."

Squinting his eyes at me he stared for at least 4 seconds before saying "Cool, I'll meet you outside in Five?"  Five minutes really?

...

Fifteen minutes later I was ready, legs fastly and freshly shaven. Walking out the door I was met with a very different Conrad than the one I met earlier. 

"I said five minutes," So impatient 

"Do you have someone important to be your majesty?" Sarcasm is and will probably be the only way I can get through an entire conversation with Conrad sometimes.

Before he could speak I added, "You could've walked down there without me I would have put together the context clues and realized." He stayed still looking at my face when I noticed his eyes start to drag down my form still an annoyed look on his face.

"I told you I would wait outside, I wouldn't leave you hanging here." Now if I told you my heart didn't do the fluttery thing would you actually believe me? 

"Oh," And we began walking, side by side. 

"Hey, Conrad?" I asked in a soft voice and if the waves weren't as quiet as they were you probably couldn't hear me.

But he did hear me "Yeah?" 

"Race you?" 

So we raced, and I had the biggest smile on my face since I arrived in cousins a month ago.

I won, by the way, don't believe Conrad.

-

Hi guys, Oh my actual gosh we are almost at 20 k reads! That's insane

Please, please, please comment and hit that star button so it allows me to know if you are liking the story! 

Let me know what you guys really want to see I love getting new ideas!!

Make sure you are staying happy and healthy and drinking plenty of water <33