41. He shouldn't have...

"It's so nerve-wracking, my stomach is in knots", complained Jiyang and Zhan rubbed a hand over the man's shoulder ignoring the sick feeling rising in him. "It will be fine. FanXing told me that we are holding on pretty well. It's only a matter of time before Xie Chong is dead." "How long has it been?", asked Zi Yi and Haikuan turned to the healer with a grave look on his face. "Almost an hour. Yibo just gave the signal for the second group to join him." "Zhuocheng had gone for a round around the packhouse, he hasn't returned yet. I'll go check on him. I'll be right back." Zhan whispered an, "It's okay and clenched his hands into fists when another loud howl echoed around the Lan territory. "You don't look well, Zhan. Are you okay?", Jiyang questioned the half-Omega before him and Zhan shook his head palming his face. "I...I don't feel good. Have no idea what's going on. I can't feel anything from Yibo. Don't even know if he's hurt anywhere." "What? Why?" "He has blocked me out." A look of disbelief settled onto Jiyang's face and Haikuan gave an apologetic look to Zhan. "He just didn't want you to worry, Zhan. Yibo feared that if you sensed anything off from your bond, you would put yourself in danger." "Not knowing isn't making this any better, Kuan-ge. I feel like I am going to be sick." "Hang in there, Zhan. I'll get you something to eat and find water." "No. I can't, Jiyang. Please." The hard set of Zhan's jaw told Jiyang that he wouldn't win this so the man sat right back, placing his arm around Zhan's shoulder. "Don't worry. It will be alright." "KUAN-GE!!",came the loud shout and Zhan's hackles rose at the urgency in Zi Yi's voice. The group ran outside at once and found ZiYi kneeling beside someone. "Who is he?", asked Haikuan pushing Zhan behind him and ZiYi shook her head. "Don't know. Zhuocheng saw him lying around and knocked him out thinking he could be a threat." The woman glared at her mate for his actions but Zhuocheng didn't look sorry. "I wasn't going to bring him near Zhan conscious, Zi Yi. The guy could be a threat. We need to tie him up and interrogate the shit out of him." "His internal organs are bleeding, A-Cheng. He has broken legs. And he is clearly unconscious." Zhan saw the man lying on the ground but couldn't recognize him. "Maybe he is one of the wolves from one of our allies. He got injured and was thrown here", Jiyang suggested making Zhan shake his head. "There is no scent of cougars on him. I agree with Cheng. We can't trust this man." "Let's get you inside first", said Haikuan ushering Zhan into the living room. "The man-" "No need to think about him. Focus on yourself, Xiao Zhan."

Zhan sat down on the sofa again his head pounding but his body froze when he heard a faint creak. It had come from the top floor and Zhan's eyes narrowed because he knew no one was supposed to be there. There was only his and Yibo's room up there and his gut told him something had made that noise. Infact, not something but someone. Jiyang came into the room and immediately Zhan put a finger onto his lips, gesturing the man to seal his lips. "Whoever he is, he is injured. Tell Zi Yi to heal the guy and tie him up. I'd rather not have the guy die at our house." Zhan made a motion with his finger, telling Jiyang someone was upstairs and the Omega nodded his head running out to inform the others. Zhan kept his ears trained above him and heard another thump, his lips thinning with realisation. There was definitely someone upstairs and the asshole was in his and Yibo's fucking room. An and Haikuan came into the room and cautiously made their way upstairs to the second floor. The two burst into the room and a loud crashing sound was heard followed by a pained scream. Minutes later the Lan pack members dragged two men downstairs. "How the fuck did they enter the packhouse?", growled Zhuocheng and Kuan twisted a man's hand grabbing his jaw harshly. "Who is the man outside?" The two cougars began laughing suddenly and before Zhan could punch the bastards, a strange scent permeated the air. A white smoke wafted into the room and everyone immediately began coughing as soon as they inhaled the gas. "Get out!!", Zhuocheng pushed at Zhan ushering him away from the thickening smoke. Zhan gagged at the scent, his insides twisting and Jiyang slammed a pillow on his mouth dragging him away. They ran aimlessly, Zhan's head getting dizzy and Jiyang himself swayed but the two managed to move away from the blinding smoke. "What the hell was that?",coughed Jiyang and Zhan could no longer hold himself back puking all over the ground. "Fuck! Zhan!!" Jiyang rubbed Zhan's back as Zhan placed his hands on the wall before him for support. "I don't know why it's making you so sick, Zhan-Zhan. What was that smoke? ZIYI!!ZIYI!!" The Omega shouted for help but no one heard and a chill settled over Zhan as darkness clouded his vision. "ZHAN!!" Jiyang yelled his name as Zhan swayed and Zhan choked out a word. "W-Water." "I'll get you some. Wait a minute." Zhan leaned against the wall and heartbeats later Jiyang returned with a water bottle. Gulping down the liquid, Zhan's head cleared a little and he stared at his surroundings. They had come out of the packhouse while avoiding whatever was in the living room. The injured male that they had found was also gone. He had been a distraction. "The cougars released that smoke inside the house. That's what they were doing upstairs. Where are the others?" "We are here", said Zhuocheng from behind them standing with Li Teng, FanXing, Wang An, Haikuan and six other wolves of the Jiangs pack. "We need to get somewhere safe. ZiYi and the others fainted due to the effects of the gas. The cougars will surround this place soon. It isn't safe here anymore." "Yuan!", Zhan called walking back in the direction of the packhouse but Haikuan held him back. "Kuan-ge...Yuan is inside. We need to get him out." Zhan's voice was laced with worry and the elder patted Zhan's shoulders in comfort. "Nothing will happen to him. They can't reach that room, Zhan. The chances are extremely rare but if any trouble arises, Yubin and Hedi will get everyone to a safe place. Let's just leave here first." "What's the hurry, future brother-in-law?"

Eyes narrowed at the feminine voice and Zhan was surrounded by the wolves immediately. Zhuocheng came to stand in front of Zhan and Yili's lips curved into a smile. "So sweet. I have to say, Xiao Zhan, you sure are surrounded by good people. So many have come to fight against our pack just because we mean you harm. Such stupidity." Zhan saw the dozen men standing beside Yili and Zhan had no doubt each one of them was a ruthless bastard. "Let's leave", said Haikuan backing away but a crunch of leaves came from behind halting their movements. "Oh, seems like more of my people have come to join the fun. Come on, guys. The fun is just starting", mocked Yili and anger burned in Zhan, his eyes flashing amber. His wolf was roaring in his head fighting for supremacy and Zhan had to get his teeth hard in order to hold himself back. "Hand over the mutt to us, Haikuan. I still stand by what I said the first day I came here. Our issues are with him. The Lan pack has nothing to do with this. I like Yibo and I promise no harm will come to him if my father gets Xiao Zhan. This doesn't have to escalate any further." Men strode forward at Yili's instruction and Haikuan transformed into his wolf form, the dark grey figure growling dangerously at the men. The smile on Xie Yili's face remained intact but her eyes narrowed in displeasure at the obvious rejection by the man. "Seems like you want to do this the hard way. You are forcing my hand, Wang Haikuan." "Anyone who takes a step forward towards Zhan will be killed. I don't care how many people protect you, Xie Yili. You will die at our hands if you dare to touch Zhan", growled Wang An and FanXing shifted next, the white wolf crouching low while snarling at the men menacingly. "Back off now", Zhuocheng warned but the woman was obviously confident in her men as she spoke. "So be it. Kill them." The men transformed into their animals and the people around Zhan shifted as well forming a protective circle around the part-omega. The cougars attacked as one but they were slower and no match for the wolves protecting Zhan. Sharp hisses came from the cougars as the Lans and Jiangs attacked mercilessly. A harsh cry of pain came from FanXing and Zhan's blood boiled at the red coating the snow white coat of the wolf. Three cougars had jumped on the white wolf and one of them had sunk his sharp teeth into the wolf's neck. FanXing was knocked aside by two other cougars and An came to his side pulling the animal's off him. Two cougars jumped onto Zhan next and with a snarl Zhan slashed with his claws, the claws piercing flesh. His eyes gleamed a bright amber and a snarl tore through his throat when one of them harshly swiped his claws near Zhan's abdomen. The wound wasn't deep but all that registered was the threat to his pup and Zhan broke under the pressure of his wolf. A harsh yell came from his throat and Zhan had shifted the next moment, the silvery grey wolf lunging and going directly for Xie Yili's throat.

Xie Chong howled in pain when Yibo's wolf chomped on his hind leg with everything in the animal's being. The teeth dug into the sensitive muscle and Xie Chong swung his leg hard hissing as he managed to get the black wolf off him. Lunging onto the cougar, Yibo missed the animal's belly by an inch and his claws slashed into the air scratching the cougar's flesh. The cougar backed away and Yibo growled lowly as the man shifted back into his human form before Yibo. The man's chest was covered in bruises, scratches and dark gashes on his chest and head. "You sure are good fighter, Wang Yibo", commented the cougar and the black wolf snarled again, inviting his enemy for another round. The black wolf's teeth ached with need to get embedded into the cougar's flesh but the man stepped away, out of reach annoying the dark animal. Bones reshaped themselves as Yibo shifted the aggression not leaving him, his eyes bright golden and claws bathed in blood. "Considering running away, Xie Chong?",he snarled and saw anger cloud the cougar's eyes. "Look around you, Xie Chong." Yibo's eyes turned to his side where corpses of cougars littered the ground. A dark wolf with white undercoat met their eyes and the wolf growled before savagely tearing into the cougar pinned under him. "You won't win this", Yibo said in a cold, detached tone and the cougar wiped the blood off his mouth, smiling. "Who says I won't, Wang Yibo? So what if all these cougars are dead? I will achieve what I came here for. Xiao Zhan will die." Yibo growled again snagging the cougar's throat and squeezing. "D-Do it...But I w-won't be the only one to d-die here, Wang Yibo. By now Yili must have finished your mate." Yibo knew he shouldn't let the fucker get into his head. He knew it but the doubt settled in when he saw Xuan behind the cougar with a panicked look on his face. Fear gripped Yibo, the Lan Aloha unblocked his senses towards his bond to Zhan and immediately fear and fury slammed into him. His firecracker had shifted into his animal. He shouldn't have. Not while he was five months along but he had and that meant something had happened. Something had pushed his firecracker into a corner and made his Zhan fight. Wrath shrouded Wang Yibo and his wolf broke through, barreling towards the packhouse.