Chapter 8

Training grounds

(The grounds have been transformed. Banners and flags flap in the morning sun. Surrounding the ring, a festive crowd had gathered. All of berk has turned out for the event)

Stoick: Well, I can show my face in public again.

(He says witch causes laughter and applause emerge from the crowd)

Stoick: If someone had told me that in a few short weeks, hicca would go from being, well... hicca, to placing first in dragon training... I would've tied him to a mast and shipped him off for fear he'd gone mad. Yes! And you know it! But here we are. And no one's more surprised...

(Hicca is listening at the entrance to the ring, listening, looking burdened)

Stoick: ... or more proud that i am. Today, my girl becomes a viking. Today, she becomes one of us!

(Cheers and roars come form the crowd. Both you and astrid approach hicca)

Astrid: Be careful with that dragon.

Hicca: It's not the dragon i'm worried about.

Astrid: What are you going to do?

Hicca: Put an end to this.

(She eyes her, dubious)

Y/n: Are you sure about this hicca?

Hicca: Yeah no turning back. I have to try. Astrid, y/n. If something goes wrong... just make sure they don't find toothless or bahamut.

Y/n: We will. just promise us it won't go wrong

(hicca can't. Gobber approaches)

Gobber: It's time, hicca. Knock him dead.

(Hicca puts on her helmet. You give her a big hug)

Y/n: Be careful out there.

Hicca: I will y/n. Don't worry.

(You let go and watch as she enters the arena. Everyone starts to cheer at her)

Tuff: Show'em how it's done, my friend!

(Hicca locks eyes with stoick. Stoick nods with a smile. Hicca returns a half-smile. Takes a deep breath. She hoists a shield onto her forearm and selects her weapon from a rack of many -- a small dagger)

Stoick: Hrmph. I would've gone for the hammer.

(Hicca turns to face a bolted, heavy door. Takes a deep breath)

Hicca: I'm ready.

(The door bolt is raised. The crowd grows quiet... BOOM! The doors blast open with a stream of sticky fire. Followed by a monstrous nightmare, coated in flames. It tears out of its cave like an irate bull -- as the crowd roars and jeers. It climbs the walls and chain enclosure like a bat, hissing at the provoking crowd and blasts fire)

(It spots hicca and descends, leering and licking the flaming drool from its lips. The crowd grows silent, bracing for the big fight. With the monstrous nightmare's eyes locked upon her, hicca deliberately drops her shield and dagger stepping away from them. The dragon pauses, confused. Stoick is also confused)

Stoick: What is she doing?

(The dragon presses closer, snorting. Hicca extends her open hand. It snarls)

Hicca: It's okay. It's okay.

(The dragon continues to pace, focused on... Hicca's helmet. Hicca realizes, then reaches up and removes it. Taking a breath to acknowledge the point of no return, she tosses the helmet aside. It hits the ground)