A knight's duty (Silver x Reader)

warning: very slight angst? gets resolved at the end

Being a part of the guard of a fae prince, Silver has become accustomed to the idea that he might have to lay his life down for said prince. Injuries were not uncommon, so he's grown tolerant of the pain too.

But this was too much.

His heart felt like it was about to shatter. Never in his life has he felt such pain. You, his beloved, engaged to someone else. Has he been too slow? It's true that he was afraid to further your relationship due to the dangers of his duty... but maybe he should have taken the plunge.

And now...

Now you're engaged to some minor noble! How is he supposed to compete as just a mere knight?! Of course you would find someone else! Someone bett-

"Go to the lake close to the old cottage."

"-Father!" is all Silver can say in his frazzled state.

"Stop wasting time and go meet them there." Lilia had a seriousness about him that Silver has rarely seen before.

"Did... did you arrange for them to be there...?" the silver-haired man asks in disbelief.

"Yes." the old fae says "Now GO!" and with that Silver took off.

First to the stables for a horse then to the forest.

The lush greenery was nothing but a blur as the silver-haired man rode through the thicket.

Blinking the tiredness from his eyes; his mind set on one goal only. To find you and make his feelings known. Perhaps you'll change your mind.

Silver can only hope.

As he reaches the clearing, the knight can see your form sitting at the edge of the water, barely making out the forlorn expression on your face.

He dismounts his horse a ways from you and then begins approaching, calling out to you in the process.

"Y/N?" his voice is soft and uncertain, but it snaps you out of your thoughts nonetheless.

"Silver!" you let out in surprise "What are you doing here?" you ask him.

"...Father told me you'll be here." he answers, slight confusion evident on his features.

"Lilia told you?" your eyes widen in disbelief "He told me I should come here to clear my head." you explain.

"...Yes, he did tell me..." the knight sighs.

He does appreciate his father's help in providing him with an opportunity to speak to you privately.

"I... wanted to talk to you." the silver-haired man says, trying to gather all of his courage "I wanted to tell you..." he glances to the side.

Noticing his nervousness, you get up from where you stood, making your way towards him. Only stopping once you were centimeters away.

"Yes, Silver?" you prompt him to continue.

And he sighs, yet again, before he finally takes your hand and places it over his fast-beating heart, looking then at you with determination in his eyes.

"I know..." he pauses, searching for the right words "That you recently got engaged." he grimaces slightly but continues nonetheless.

"So please forgive me for this, but I have to make my feelings known... even if there is no hope that you'll accept them." he then takes a deep breath.

"So forgive me for this selfish act, for wanting you to know that I have fallen for you." he gulps dryly "...That I love you like no other." he then lets go of your hand, quickly apologizing again.

But you stop him in his tracks as you speak and the man turns to face you in surprise.

"The engagement wasn't my choice." you go to grab his hand and place your other one on his cheek "So the lords and ladies of the court will have to forgive me for my selfishness." you pause, giving him a smile "Because I love you too, Silver."

You may have to face the nobles wrath when you go back, but it doesn't seem as scary with your beloved by your side.

Your dear knight in shining armor.