JK... unless? (Cater Diamond x Reader)

"There." Cater's hand guides yours as you put your open palm on the table, the hardwood smooth and cool to the touch.

"This is what you do when you think the cards are good." he explains, his hand remaining over yours. Warm and gentle.

A smile graces his lips and you swear you could die. Since when was Cater this... this... comforting.

Sure, he's fun and although he can be a little bit of menace, he's not bad. Quite good company, actually.

You expected some jokes and flirty remarks, him asking to livestream this on his magicam.

But he didn't.

He did ask for a photo with the two of you and the deck of cards, but only if you wanted too.

"It doesn't sound so complicated anymore, right?" soft voice bringing you out of your thoughts.

"Well... I've had a good teacher." you tease, chuckling at Cater's slight flustered expression.

With a hand sheepishly scratching at the nape of his neck he whines.

"Awwww, you're so mean! Messing like this with me! You just don't want to pay me for my work!" Cater lightly pushes your arm.

"But you're right. I am a great teacher! Cay Cay's gonna take you under his wing and teach you anything you want to know as long as you pay him with some spicy food." you are then met with a wink.

One that makes your heartbeat pick up and your breath catch in your throat.

"Oh~ what's with the cute expression you're making right now? Are you getting embarrassed?~" he jokes, leaning towards you, only for you to push him a little too forcefully.

"Ow... that wasn't nice... but I suppose it was deserved. I just couldn't help it! You're too cute!" he tries explaining.

"You think I'm cute?" you rise an eyebrow.

"Ah-... I... did I say that out loud...?"

"Oh! So now, you're the embarrassed one, hmmm, Cay Cay?" you press him.

"Y-you're exaggerating!" Cater tries to defend himself to no avail. "How- how about we go back to learning blackjack?"

"You're trying to change the subject!" you accuse.

"No, I'm not!" he protests.

"Wait!" you abruptly shout "Did you just look the rules online before I came here?!"

Silence.

Then nervous laughter.

"Hahaha... maybe..."

"You-!" but you don't get to finish your sentence.

"So... ah... how about we go to this new ramen place they just opened?" green eyes peer at you anxiously.

"Just the two of us?"

Your answer is clear, you don't even need to think about it.

"I'd love to, Cater."