What is a Phobia?

What is a phobia?

A phobia is an intense fear of something that, in reality, poses little or no actual danger.  we can develop phobias of virtually anything. Most phobias develop in childhood, but they can also develop in adults. If you have a phobia, you probably realize that your fear is unreasonable, yet you still can't control your feelings. Just thinking about the feared object or situation may make you anxious. And when you're actually exposed to the thing you fear, the terror is automatic and overwhelming. A phobia is an irrational fear, a kind of anxiety disorder in which the sufferer has a relentless dread of a situation, living creature, place or thing. Individuals with a phobia go to great lengths to avoid a perceived danger which is much greater in their minds than in real life.

                                                       Facts

Individuals whose family members have specific phobia are at a higher risk for developing this disorderThere are twice as many women with specific phobia than there are men with this disorder.  40% of phobias begin before the age of 10, while 95% start before the age of 20.nearly 80% phobics find relief in medicines and Cognitive Behavior Therapy.

                                                  Symptoms

pounding or racing heartshortness of breathrapid speech or inability to speakdry mouthupset stomach or nauseaelevated blood pressuretrembling or shakingchest pain or tightnesschoking sensationdizziness or lightheadednessprofuse sweating

                                                Causes

Phobias can be caused by genetic and environmental reasons Exposure to confined spaces, extreme temperatures, nearly drowning, or an animal or insect bite can all be sources of phobias.They're often linked to a frightening event or stressful situation. phobias are usually developed during childhoodyou can be learnt a phobia by family members or close friends.genetics

brain chemistry (such as agoraphobia & social phobia)