Chapter 2: Slippery assumptions

He clearly wanted to say more but before he could, I pushed past him and made a run for it - Umbrella, bag, et al.

The roads were wet and slippery. Thank God for the sensible pair of sneakers I had chosen - without them, I'd have landed smack on my bottom.

I barely registered the traffic on the streets - nor noticed the slowly depleting human traffic. I was now moving away from the main streets and approaching a quiet residential area.

A smart person would have stopped to challenge any stranger when still surrounded by people. Turns out, I was not smart. Nor very athletic either - despite the sneakers, I had tripped a few times and barely caught myself from falling. The running had also splashed my clothes with muddy water and I was a sight to behold.

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I registered that I should seek help before it was too late. My throat burned as my eyes desperately searched for someone - anyone - for help.

That's when I heard the distant purr of an approaching bike. I was wet, terrified and my lungs ached from the run but the sound of the bike made me feel hopeful. Loosening the tight hold on my bag (my fingers were chalk white), I extended my hand urging the biker to stop.

It was a man and thankfully, he did stop. I couldn't see him clearly as he wore a helmet but he seemed to have guessed that something was not right with me.

"What happened?" he enquired in the native language.

I explained in rushed words (speaking the language of desperation) that I was being followed and needed help. He was sympathetic to my plight and offered to accompany me. I almost fainted in relief. We agreed for him to follow me as we walked to my destination (I was trying to be smart and not get on a bike with a stranger!). He was kind and offered to hold my bag. I smiled, grateful for his empathy. It was a rather heavy bag and he laughed in surprise as his hands sank from its weight before he pulled it over and wore it around his shoulder.

The rain was relentless now and my soaking wet body craved the warm indoors. The shock from being followed had abated slightly and I smiled once more at my rescuer.

He fired up his bike and I was tempted to ask to ride along with him. It might be awkward to ride with a stranger but it would definitely be a short ride. I was still mulling over the possibility when something else happened.

He sped away.

I blinked in confusion. What...? Was he coming back? I looked around at the ridiculously clean rain washed streets, at the silent menacing houses that didn't care about my circumstances, at the trees whose branches swayed in the wind, the wind that threatened to deafen me with each passing second.

I was absolutely alone. I waited for a few minutes... though I already knew that the bike would not return.

Was this a nightmare that I couldn't wake from? I was brought up to be wary of strangers but surely, SURELY, this couldn't be real? Why would my apparent rescuer make a run for it with my bag - the bag that had my phone, laptop and wallet?

I broke down - I was shivering, sobbing and even screaming, I realized. I'd never felt this vulnerable and exposed. What was I going to do? The logical part of my mind (or rather the part that was inanely positive) urged me to be grateful that the man hadn't physically harmed me. I was alive, breathing -

"Hey, are you alright?"

No, no, no, NO! This cannot be happening!

Hadn't I just expressed gratitude for being safe? I had spoken too soon for he had caught up to me. The very man I was running away from.

I was slumped down in the middle of the street, tears pouring down my face, feeling six feet under but his sudden appearance jerked me back into action. I pushed myself wanting to place enough distance between us - away from him.

"Don't! Don't come any closer." The warning in my voice felt feeble even to me but he took a step back.

"I didn't mean to scare you. I.. You dropped your phone."

I gaped at him.

"Ex-excuse me?"

My voice was hoarse and slightly hysterical.

"Your phone.. You dropped it when you got off the train. And I.. are you ok?"

I vaguely registered that he wasn't wearing his mask anymore. He stayed away but there was a look of concern in his eyes as he considered me.

"You mean.. I ran and lost everything over absolutely nothing?" I felt like such a fool.

He frowned, looked around before reaching for his phone (it wasn't mine anyway). I didn't realize this but I was sobbing once more. Gee, what a cry baby.

"Can I come help you up?"

I was glad that he had the decency to ask my permission. But I didn't reply.

"Are you hurt? Should I call someone for you?"

I wasn't physically hurt but the voice in my head was berating my stupidity. I acted based on my perception and it turned out I wasn't good with those either.

I heard the sound of an approaching bike once more - was it the same one I'd heard before?

It was! It was the very same bike, the very same man - only this time, he wasn't alone.

It had to be one of the most bizzare mornings of my life and I even wondered if I had accidentally landed into a crime-high parallel universe. Though the rain shadowed the day light, the fact remained that it was only 11am!

I felt him move behind me - Mr. Burly had decided to move without asking my permission though he still made sure that he stood a little away from me. All I could now see was his back and the partial image of the biker and his pal

"Don't try to be a hero. I only want access to this laptop. Give me that and I will be on my way."

He no longer spoke in the native language and his English was flawless too.

"Give back what you stole. I've already called the cops. You can't escape now. You never should have come back."

Was Mr. Burly bat shit crazy? Didn't he know that the cops never arrived on time?

That's when I saw the gun.