Chapter 8: Fast Forward (Finale)

We made dinner plans. I wanted this to be special but I worried that I might alarm him. So I chose the restaurant we had been to on his birthday - special but still understated.

"Are you getting married?"

I blushed crimson and almost spat the water I was drinking.

"What? No!" I covered my face with a napkin in pretense of cleaning up.

He studied me for a bit before shrugging. "You seem nervous so thought I'd ask."

"I'm not nervous. Shall we order?" Topic change and an over enthusiastic menu perusal.

Sam looked like he wanted to say more but instead conceded.

We went through the motion of ordering food though I wasn't hungry. I just needed a few seconds to pluck up the courage and.. Propose to him. Man, I'd never imagined I would be the one to propose. My stomach did it's famous flip flop and butterfly launch.

What's the worse thing that could happen? He could say no.

Or he could start laughing.

I knew he would never be that cruel to me but.. He definitely could decline. Politely. What happens then? Would I lose a friend too?

I studied him now as he sat across the table. He was always kind and considerate with me. Maybe even protective of me. My heart warmed at the thought of a future with him. That in itself was surprising since I never imagined I would feel this way.

"Sam?"

He grinned and looked up. He had occupied himself in examination of the restaurants cutlery - probably to give me space. "Finally. Get it out, Mika. It's eating at you."

I smiled. "Know me that well, huh?"

"Just a little bit." Still playful but he knew that I had something important to say.

"I was thinking about something you said yesterday.. About marriage and the kind of person I wanted to choose."

A crease appeared between his brows as he tried to recollect what he'd said the previous day. "Don't remember saying anything profound. Wasn't I just teasing you?'

" Yes." I paused and bit my lips. "Just hear me out.. If you think it's a bad idea, we can all forget about it."

Sam looked wary. "O..k. As far as you haven't decided on sainthood, I'm sure it's fine."

I laughed and felt the tension ease a little but that was temporary. I realised he was waiting for me to continue and the stress returned full throttle. Sam noticed.

"You are scaring me, Mika. Is everything alright?"

I had to make sure that I presented my case well - it was important to cohesively explain everything that had transpired in my mind and how I had come to the conclusion that we would make great companions. What I said next was key. I took a deep breath-

"I was thinking last night - we should get married."

Crap. That wasn't what I had started to say. It was s blurt out. So much for 'cohesive'. I heard the clank as the spoon he held dropped on the table. Nervously, I looked up to meet his eyes. Disbelief first and then amusement.

"Ok. Now that you've gotten the jokes out.. Seriously, what did you want to tell me?"

My heart sank a little. He hadn't laughed but he hadn't taken me seriously either.

"I'm not kidding. I like being with you. After a really long time, I feel comfortable with someone. I.. I like you, Sam. I think we could be great together."