Chapter 4: New Feeling

Hayley's POV:

I have been living with Zack and Eric for about a month and a half now. Getting used to this new life while still being unable to remember my previous life made me mad, but I couldn't really do anything about it. Nobody seems to be looking for me so I guess I could start putting my past behind me.

I cleared a now empty table of it's mostly empty glasses before wiping it down with a rag. I carried the glasses with me through the "staff only" doors and into the half storage room half kitchen area. Katie was washing the dishes as I sat the newly collected cups on the counter. She smiled and I gave the best grin I could.

I left to clear another table that I had seen on my way, ignoring the two arguing men who stood beside it.

"It's not my fault this place has bad service." The taller one hissed at the shorter guy.

"You're the one who picked this place."

They continued bickering as I picked up the empty glasses left from previous customers. I had my arms full of the six 2 inch glasses, barely keeping my grip on the two stacks of three in each hand.

I had backed up to turn around when I bumped into one of the men. The glass at the top of the left stack wobbled and fell, crashing and shattering to the floor. The men grumbled even more. It was a faint one second feeling but as the glass had wobbled, my muscles tensed and my hand flinched towards the glass.

I took the surviving glasses to the kitchen sink and grabbed the broom before heading back to the scene of death. I bent over, carefully picking up the bigger pieces. That's when I heard what the men were saying.

"Damn. Never mind Jerry, I like this place now."

"Me too."

One of them whistled lowly. I almost threw up in my mouth. Bleh! I quickly stood up straight. Threw the pieces away before going back and sweeping up the rest. Once I finished with that I picked up my wet rag and walked back over to the table and wiped it down really quick.

I went to turn away and head back but again, I bumped into the men.

"What's the rush sweetie?" The taller one said.

I grimace. "Sorry for the trouble." I said before trying to side step them.

"Why don't you tell us your name beautiful." They moved in front of me again.

"I'm sorry, but I'm working right now." I tried to be polite because I didn't want to get in trouble for punching two dirt bags at work but they really were pushing my limit.

"I might have something in mind for you if you really want to make it up to us. What do you say baby?"

My hands curled into fists and anger rushed through me. There was an itching feeling at the tips of my fingers and my palms burned, I tried to hold onto sanity, trying to stay calm. They didn't make it easier.

One of them grabbed my wrist and tried pulling me closer to him. I planted my feet and held my ground though. Even the voice was trying to calm me down.

успокойся сейчас (calm down now)

For once it didn't work. The switch wasn't working. I felt my grip on myself slipping.

"I'm going to have to ask you two to leave now." A familiar voice said close to me, yet it felt so far. Everything was blurring as red rimmed my vision.

A hand gently touched my shoulder, but somehow I could tell it wasn't one of the two men.

"You alright there?" Zack asked and I was finally able to calm down. The itch faded and so did the pounding in my head. My heartbeat stopped running a marathon and the red dimmed, clearing my vision

I nodded to him and his features relaxed leaving just a whisper of the panic in his eyes.

The two men started arguing again. Grumbling about terrible service before leaving. Zack just squeezed my shoulder reassuringly.

"Why don't you take a break real quick?" He gently asked.

I shook my head but he was already pulling me through the staff doors. He sat me down on an empty crate before giving me a quick hug. He headed back out to serve drinks as I sat on the crate.

Katie came over and handed me a glass of water. I don't know why Zack was making such a big deal of the whole thing. It's not like anything really happened and I'm fine!

I sigh, taking a sip of the cold water. The only thing that scared me was that new feeling that took control of me. Not even the voice in my head could control it. I was too close for comfort to unleashing whatever took ahold of me.

I fiddled with my bracelet. It fit tightly around my wrist leaving just enough room for it to twist around my wrist. It was all silver with no clasp to unattach it. That was one of the reasons I kept it on because I couldn't find a way to take it off, and... no matter what I say, deep down I don't want to just give up on my past. I want to know myself.

I'm done with my "break" so I get up and head back out. I clear tables and wipe them down. Zack keeps sending me worried looks but I push a forced smile on my face. I bet he sees right through it though.

I notice a man sitting alone in the dark corner. Maybe it was just me seeing things but I swear I saw him looking at me. Even if it was for a split second. He wore gloves and his brown hair was almost shoulder length. And his cold expression made me shiver. I hadn't realized I was staring at the man until he looked back at me with his icy eyes that were a beautiful blue which had showed bags underneath.

It felt like he was looking into my soul as he gave me a cold glare. I noticed his right hand clenched around his drink, his black gloves and leather jacket covered his arms. I wasn't sure why but I felt as though I had seen him somewhere before. I just couldn't place from where-

избегай его (avoid him)

And just like that the switch was turned and even though I was itching to look at him again to try to remember him, I completely avoided him for the rest of my shift.