"I'm telling the truth."

When Tommy returned from London a few days later, Ivy was outside of the house for the first time. Finally, her brain was filled with so many stories she thought she would explode, and her fingers cramped when she played the piano. Going outside seemed like the next best thing. Roy was with her the whole time. At first, she just stood at the front door, breathing in the fresh country air. It was different to Camden. There was no smoke clogging her lungs, no tangy smell of liquor, or coal and thankfully no stench of fish. It smelt nice.

Ivy was by the stables when Tommy got home in his car. She waved to him and was too far away to see how unhappy he was. She stroked the horse in front of her. Its fur was shiny brown and her mane was soft.

"Does she have a name?" Ivy asked when Tommy got close.

"What are you doing outside the house?" he wagged his finger at her.

"I wanted to see the horses." She smiled. "Can you relax?" she laughed, seeing how tense he was. "Roy's here." She nodded to the guard, who was at the edge of the stable, standing tall with his usual stern expression.

Tommy did, for the most part, seem to relax. "I don't care - you get on that horse and you'll be gone back to London, and I can't have that."

Ivy rolled her eyes. "Really? After this long, you still think I'd try to escape? Why would I? What advantage would I get? We already spoke about this. I don't even know where I am, let alone where to go."

"You can say it all you want-"

"But you don't believe me?"

"No."

Ivy remembered what happened with Grace, how he let down his defensives, fell in love with her just to realise he betrayed her.

"You're not as evil as you believe." Ivy said. "I've met monsters. You're not one of them."

"You don't know me."

"You've killed, you've beaten, you threatened and tortured. You betray your alliances for your own advantage, you hold more secrets that you can take, you put the weight of the world on your shoulders and you only trust your family. No, you are not a generically good man. But in your own way, you are."

"You don't understand."

"Don't I? You've given me my own room with a bed and a bath. I have my own maid to attend to my every need. I get fed full meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Does that sound like someone who is a hostage?"

Tommy did not react, kept a stern face as always. "You're a woman."

"Exactly. I've faced men who did not care about that. I don't expect you to tell me your plans for Alfie, in fact, I don't give a shit. Whatever you decide, I'm sure you and him will figure something out that won't involve my death. I'm just asking for you to believe that I won't try to escape. Apart from the boredom, and not talking to Alfie, I kinda like it here. It's more... peaceful."

Tommy looked away, complementing her words. She sighed softly and stepped forward, closing the gap between them. Tommy glanced down at her, and she gave a gentle smile.

"I know you think of yourself as the devil, but you're far from it. You don't like to kill, you don't like to hurt, but it comes with the job. You're ambitious, and drive and you drink far too much," she laughed lightly, "but underneath it all, you're a good man. Who takes a hostage and gives them luxury." Her arm gestured towards the house. "Now," she stood up straight, "will you be around for a few days?"

Tommy's tension dissipated, and he deadpanned at her. "Yes."

"For one day, can you forget about business, and teach me how to ride?" She nodded to the horse. "I've never had a chance in the city."