"But I'm a Lion."

Ivy awoke the next morning with the sun beaming through her window. She raised her arm to block it from blinding her when she opened her eyes. Last night's events raced through her mind like jagged lines, appearing in small parts, cut short at random times, and then randomly appearing again later into the night. She remembered the piano, the many drinks, the dancing, the kissing... the talk... sex...

Ivy's hands raised to her head, trying to hold the incoming headache. Was that all a dream? She did not remember coming to bed. But she remembered their talk. How much of that was real? She would like to think Tommy would not just say all of that to get into her pants, but then again, both of them were extremely intoxicated. She needed to talk to him, verify a few things, because if this was all a joke to him, she... honestly? She would be heartbroken.

Ivy opened her door, sticking her head out, readying herself to ask for a large breakfast to fill her hunger. But no one was outside her door. She frowned and went back inside her room to check the time. It was noon, Roy or Andrew were always around. Once she got up at four am for some water and found Andrew outside half asleep.

"Frances!" she called the main maid as she walked past Ivy's room. "Where are Roy and Andrew?"

"Mr Shelby told them not to come in anymore." Ivy blinked dumbly at Frances, unsure she heard her correct, she was hesitant whether her heart should flutter or sink. Were the guards gone because Tommy trusted her or because now she would be locked back in her room?

"Um - Will I be eating in my room again then?"

"No," Frances shook her head. "You can go down to the kitchen."

"With Beatrice?"

"No ma'am, Tommy has told us you are free to wander the house as you please."

Ivy's eyes lit up, her heart feeling as though it skipped a beat. "Do you know where Tommy is now?"

"He's in his office."

"Thank you." Ivy gave a grateful nod before leaving her room, an odd sensation when Frances did not follow her. She kept looking around as she stepped down the stairs, as if Roy or Andrew would be hidden in some corner, secretly watching her every move. But there was no sight of them. She made her way to Tommy's office and gave two knocks. She heard a muffled voice, but was unsure what he said. Gently, she opened the door and peered her head inside. Tommy sat half on his table, one leg up, the other supporting himself, cigarette in mouth and phone by his ear.

"Sorry..." she quickly mouthed, seeing he was busy.

He gave a nod, acknowledging her, and she back stepped out, not wanting to bother him. Her heart thumped heavily. Everything happened a bit too quick. Yesterday she had a guard with her at all times, still a prisoner in Tommy's home, but now... was she still a prisoner? She couldn't leave, but... she didn't know. All she knew was he made her feel a certain way, a way she had never felt before.

"Hello!" Charlie beamed up at her.

"Hello, Charlie," she knelt down to be the same size as him. "How are you today?"

"Good!"

"Have you had lunch yet?"

"Nope." he shook his head vigorously.

"Either have I. Should we go get it together?"

"Yes, please!" he grinned, and happily took her hand that she held out for him.

The two sat together at the large table as lunch was brought out. Nothing too special, macaroni and cheese, easy enough for Charlie to eat, and satisfying enough for Ivy's belly. Their chat was as interesting as it could be with a three-year-old child. He told her about his stuffed toys, his endless imagination of stories and his drawings of his imaginations. And honestly, Ivy was more than happy to listen. Something about it brought back an innocence and carefreeness that she once had as a child, and something she dearly thought was missing since the war.