Chapter 4: Newcomer

A man of some kind of attire - Inazuman, you assumed - was walking towards you, and... applauding you...? A veil, attached to the man's hat, billowed softly.

"Who are you? Name and affiliation, now." You felt a little uneasy with the fact that a random stranger was congratulating you for fighting off some hilichurls...

"Oh me? I'm just a vagrant from Inazuma," the man dismissed.

His eyes were light-natured, as was his tone. Your eyes, on the other hand, narrowed.

"I'm impressed by how easily you fight. Those hilichurls were nothing to you," he continued.

"Well, vagrant from Inazuma, thank you. What are you doing around Springvale?"

"I was investigating the meteors that came from last night's meteor showers. Strange little things, aren't they?"

Oh. He had also been commissioned to observe the meteors.

"I am too, actually. I was just wrapping up some daily commissions."

"That's more than just a coincidence. Why don't we work together?"

You didn't know why he was so adamant on working together. You were perfectly fine on your own. Arguably, you worked better alone.

"Thanks for the offer, but I'm alright," you said, turning away.

"That's a shame. I was thinking we could team up and cover more ground," the man sighed.

"I'll...consider it."

Why would you team up with a person you had never met before? You hadn't even seen him in town before.

You paused when the man asked, "Where are you headed after this?"

"I'll head to Wolvendom to check something out and then I'll head back to bartend at Mondstadt."

"An adventurer and bartender, huh? What a curious mix."

"I'll be off, now," you said, ignoring his remark.

"Wait."

Suppressing a heavy sigh, you turned around.

"You dropped some paper." The man extended his hand to show you your commission sheet. You thanked the man as you took it back.

You left him standing by the side of the road.

***

"She's got quite the spirit, huh?" The man murmured.

Snapping his fingers, he raised his voice once he confirmed the girl had gone. "Soldiers. Make sure to keep an eye on that girl. Don't interact with her, nor the people she meets. She's far too suspecting."

"Yes sir." The group chorused. They bowed and left as quickly as they had appeared.

***

You were back in Wolvendom after a painstakingly long walk. You retraced your steps, hopefully able to find the same camp you had stumbled upon this morning. The camp seemed interesting and you wanted to search through it.

That man you had talked to earlier. He felt a little suspicious. He was also working on the recent meteor showers. Maybe you'd bump into him again while investigating. Maybe then you could question him.

The sight of Wolfhook berries was positive. You found yourself back on the path that you had treaded. Sure enough, there was a clearing nearby. The camp looked deserted. The Fatui Pyro Agent seemed to have left, too.

It was a small camp, but a Fatui camp nonetheless. There were two tents and the spitfire was long extinguished. The tent to the left was dark blue. The tent to the right was a dark red.