Chapter 19: On the Run

You were quickly retracting your steps. If you could get back to Hongmei's food stall, you would be able to make your way back to the place you had first entered Liyue Harbour.

You sprinted down the steps leading up to the Bubu Pharmacy, and then slowed down. Would Childe actually keep his word?

No, he wouldn't. He was a Harbinger. As far as friendly facades went, Childe's was no different. The Fatui were never up to anything good. And yet you had trusted him blindly. You left a note of thanks. Although sincere, you still had your doubts.

Childe had given you that opportunity, and you had taken it.

Your conflicting thoughts were still no reason to stop. You continued to run.

Your escape route took you through Yujing Terrace, and after deciding that you had put enough distance between you and Childe for the now, you slowed to a walk once again. If Scaramouche, or any other Fatuus for that matter, saw you running, they would immediately know you were trying to escape. It was difficult to look casual when your heart was racing with the fear of getting caught, but the bench you and Childe had sat on earlier came into view. You breathed out, drawing a long sigh as you tried to look inconspicuous.

Walking past Hongmei's food stall, thankfully without grabbing her attention, the area you were in became familiar as you recognised a few of the stalls, which were closed when Scaramouche and you had come that night. You also saw the lady who sold the chop suey.

You didn’t have the time nor Mora to stop by and purchase some. You reached the open path that led to just outside the harbour. However, there were Millelith present - quite a large number of them, you thought - for a patrol.

Leaning against the railing lining the path, you spotted two masked Fatui members talking to each other. You tensed, readying yourself to run. Had they seen you?

You watched them out of the corner of your eye as you walked towards the path out. They were busy talking, and they didn’t seem to have taken much notice of people passing by.

A polearm swung in front of you, forcing you to stop. “Sorry, we can’t let you exit. Borders have been shut until further notice.”

“Why, may I ask? I have important business to attend to,” you lied through your teeth.

“…The Rite of Descension was interrupted. Rex Lapis has been assassinated. Did you not know this previously?” The Millelith guard said disdainfully, as if you were a lesser being for not being informed.

“How should I put it? I’ve been kidnapped by the Fatui and I’ve been cooped up at one of their bases for the past day or so. I’ve just escaped and I need help. Please. I don’t know where to go and I have no Mora.”

He raised an eyebrow. The audacity!

“The lengths you people go to to leave,” he said. “I’m not letting you out.”

“What part of you thinks I’m joking? Why would I joke about being kidnapped?”

The guard looked as if he was biting back another remark. “Point still stands. The Qixing, or more specifically, Lady Ningguang, has ordered for nobody to leave until we can identify some suspects.”

“I don’t have anywhere to go. If I stay in Liyue Harbour, they’ll find me,” you scrabbled for words. “I thought the Millelith were supposed to help! I’m a citizen in danger!”

“That’s not my problem. You’re obviously lying so you can get out of Liyue Harbour. You should be glad I haven’t arrested you yet for being a possible suspect.”

You seriously debated whether punching the man in the face and running would be a good idea, but then decided against it as there were far too many people in the immediate area. You pleaded, “Do you at least know a way I can send a letter to my brother for help?”