New Territory

RAYA X NAMAARI

Chapter 2: New Territory

It's another beautiful day in Fang. Most of the foundation had been repaired now. A few big areas of rubble were left to be moved. Namaari was especially eager for things to go back to normal. She wanted to get back to her lessons, but the manual labor was a good enough release for her. Namaari was first to start gathering debris, after returning from Heart the day the world was fixed again. Namaari never wanted any of this to happen, so she feels responsible. It was never her idea to try and steal the dragon gem; she was just a child; how could she have known any better. Namaari is still plagued by nightmares of the gem breaking. The site of the Druun rising from the ground. Everyone around her turning to stone. Namaari grew up fast that day. From then on, her entire focus was on protecting Fang; not just from the Druun, but from other tribes wishing to attack. Namaari knows that no one person is solely to blame for the world breaking, it was a collective of all the tribes fighting over the gem. Namaari was just the first one to find out where it was hidden; the adults did the rest. But still, Namaari blames herself, nonetheless. Had she not betrayed Raya, no one would've turned to stone and, who knows, maybe Chief Benja really could've brought everyone together to be Kumandra again.

Chief Virana knows Namaari carries this guilt with her and frequently pleads with her to let it go. She has since apologized to Namaari for everything. For forcing her to train, day in and day out, pushing her to be the strong and brave warrior woman that she is, rather than be the loving mother that she should've been to Namaari. Like clockwork, she's out working with the others, cleaning up the debris.

Chief Virana: I see you're out here, yet again. Still refuse to let the workers handle all of this. Why do you push yourself so?

Namaari: It's only fair that I help clean up the mess that I helped make, mother. Royalty or not, it's the right thing to do.

Chief Virana walks over to Namaari and places her hand under her chin; Namaari stops working and steps aside.

Chief Virana: My morning mist, you've grown up so much. Too much, I'm afraid, and that's my fault. I trained you from a young age to be strong. To be a warrior. To have no fear. And with that, I'm afraid I neglected you the most important thing: love.

Namaari: I don't understand.

Chief Virana: I made you grow up too fast. You didn't have time for anything besides training.

Namaari: But I love training

Chief Virana: I know you do. But...there was nothing else. You didn't even play with other children your age. You would rather lay with Serlot and sharpen your blades.

Namaari: Those children were annoying. We had nothing in common. Most of which had alarming amounts of dolls and only wished to speak of boys.

Chief Virana: I just want you to know what it's like to be a child. Go out and have fun. Let someone else carry the weight of the village for a day.

NAMAARI POV

My mother's words repeating in my head. Did I not have a childhood? I was happy as a child, was I not? I believe I had a good childhood. Which is more than I can say for poor Raya. Her father, turned to stone on that bridge, left alone for six years. I don't know how she managed to stay alive all those years, alone, but...I'm glad she did. If it wasn't for her, the world wouldn't be right again. I wish I could go back to that day. I remember walking through the door to the dragon gem and being so nervous. The moment I saw the spirit of Sisu, I felt hesitation. I should've listened to that hesitation. I wish that I did.