Chapter 6

They were back at the drive in movie theatre and memories were haunting Steve of a time before the Upside Down.

The Fly.

Horror movies were not his cup of tea and this one was sci-fi too. He groaned inwardly, not looking forward to Eddie discovering how easily he scared.

The two of them were splayed out on a ratty picnic blanket that Eddie found underneath the sofa in his trailer and even though they were both high as fuck, he was still painfully aware of how close their bodies were to each other.

"Steve..." Eddie's drawling voice brought him out of his thoughts. "Watch the screen, not me, m'kay?"

Steve rolled his eyes halfway.

"As if I would look twice at you," he scoffed, but he was only half serious despite everything.

Eddie sighed, a pretty grin dazzling on his face.

"I know it's hard man, but hey, at least Jeff Goldblum is kind of hot. Stare at him instead."

"You must be joking, Eddie." Steve fixed him with his very best I-can't-believe-this-shit look. "That man is..." He pretended to gag.

"Love the image, Stevie," Eddie said sarcastically. "But hey, now I know that you look at guys other than yourself."

"What, are you excited by the fact that I might look at you," Steve teased.

"No, 'cause I already know that you do. I thought we established that?" Eddie responded sweetly.

"Fuck you."

"If you must."

Steve's eyes shot up to his, in a split second taking in all of Eddie's poker face.

"Can't even tell if you're joking anymore."

"Mm, I bet. You wish you knew."

"Yeah... right."

They both turned back to the movie, just as Goldblum vomited corrosive enzymes everywhere.

Steve grimaced.

Just then, a high pitched voice made it's way over to he and Eddie's spot.

"Steve Harrington, is that you?"

Eddie winced at the sound and they both looked around to see who it was.

A girl in a pink miniskirt came prancing around the cars and she squealed annoyingly when she reached their blanket.

"Oh. My. God. It is you!" she cried.

Several of the people around them turned to shush her with impatient glares. She didn't seem to notice.

"Umm, do I know you?" Steve scrunched his eyebrows together in confusion.

"Of course you do, you silly boy!" she swatted at the air playfully.

"Aww, Steve the silly boy," Eddie murmured teasingly from beside him. "That's one for the papers."

Steve tactfully ignored him.

"Did you... go to school with me?" he asked the girl.

"Obvi!" she simpered. "It's me, Tracy Nelson!"

Steve looked sideways at Eddie and raised an eyebrow.

He had no idea who this chick was.

"Ahh, Tracy?" he said, pretending to know her.

She looked down at him with a teasingly disapproving expression.

"If you recall, we have unfinished business."

"We do?"

Steve had no clue what she was talking about.

Eddie leaned in.

"Aw, did you give her an I-owe-you to fuck?" he whispered in his ear.

Steve smiled pleasantly and not-so-subtly elbowed him sharply in the ribs.

While Eddie complained quietly beside him, he refocused his attention on Tracy.

"What were you saying?"

"You said you'd kiss me under the mistletoe and you never did," Tracy pouted.

"Oh."

Eddie snickered.

At least he seemed to have recovered from Steve's pointed attack.

"May I?" Tracy pointed at the spot on the blanket next to him.

Before he had a chance to respond, she flounced down anyways.

It would have been a polite 'no'.

"Um, sure, I guess."

She leaned into his space, cherry gloss invading the privacy of he and Eddie's spot.

Steve found himself leaning ever-so-slightly away from her, in the direction of Eddie.

But it was too late to get away and Tracy's mouth was on his in seconds.

Overpowered, he lost track of which way was right side up. She moved her body slowly onto his lap and he just sat there, limp and unresponsive.

Then her hand was on his chest and he felt himself fall slowly backwards, straight into Eddie's lap.

Steve winced as Tracy began to trace her lips further down, edging towards his neck with every new kiss.

Eddie looked down at him, sparing a single, disgusted glance at Steve's attacker.

"Help me," Steve mouthed frantically.

Tracy was lost in her own world against his neck.

He tried to shrug her off, but nothing budged her.

Then Eddie's hand grazed his jaw lightly, rings cool against Steve's clammy skin.

He forgot about Tracy completely with that single, perfect touch.

Eddie leaned over until his nose was less than an inch from his. He hovered there for a moment, his hand tentatively exploring the skin along the base of Steve's neck, toying with his collarbone despite Tracy's constant motion nearby.

All the while, he kept his eyes fixed totally and fully on Steve's eyes, which made Steve want to die right there and then.

He'd never been the subject of Eddie's glance for so long at one time and he found that somewhere deep inside of him, this must have been all that he ever wished for.

In the entire three minutes that the interaction lasted before Tracy noticed, Steve felt like his life was complete.

Then Tracy Nelson looked up.

And saw everything.