Chapter 8

Eddie showed up at Steve's house three days later, but not at any regular time.

It was two forty-five in the morning.

Steve knew that this was just predictable Eddie behaviour, but he was still dead when he woke up to the shrill call of the doorbell.

"Eddie?" he mumbled sleepily when he opened the front door.

With half-opened eyelids, he took in the wild-eyed boy, barely able to decide what was dream and what wasn't.

"Yes, Harrington."

"What's going o—."

"We've got fifteen minutes," Eddie interrupted him.

"Wha?"

Steve looked down at his arm and pinched it.

When he looked back up, Eddie was grinning, all familiarly pinched skin around his eyes.

"Spoiler alert: you're awake."

"Huh." Steve nodded slowly and clicked his tongue. "Why?"

Eddie chuckled.

"Isn't that the big question?"

"Eddieeeee..." Steve groaned and leaned his body against the door frame.

The wood felt softer than his mattress.

"Stevieeeee..."

Eddie's voice spun around him and he blinked open his eyes.

It felt like only a second had passed, but Eddie was looking at him like it had been a year.

"Now we've got ten minutes, Steve," he said patiently. "You coming, or what?"

Steve lifted himself away from the door and stumbled a few steps forward.

"Where?"

He didn't feel capable of sentences with more than one word in them anymore.

Eddie noticed and followed suite with the most gorgeous smile.

"Home."

Tingles in Steve's fingertips.

He was awake enough to register how Eddie's voice was affecting his serotonin levels right now.

"Home," he agreed without thinking.

"It's the witching hour in eight minutes," Eddie added.

Then he grabbed Steve's arm and pulled him along down the driveway, cackling sweetly.

"No, no, no, no, no!" Steve moaned. "I will not take part in one of your seances!"

"Too late, darling!" Eddie sang.

"This is kidnapping!"

"You said yes!"

Steve scoffed, attempting to swat away Eddie's hand as he did.

"I did not! I said home!"

"Same thing!" Eddie crowed.

They were at his van.

"C'mon Steve, for me?" Eddie pleaded and he drew Steve closer, cupping his face. "Don't you want me happy?"

"I—." Steve was employing all of his will power against looking at Eddie's lips. "Bit busy."

Eddie raised an eyebrow.

"I can tell, Stevie." He took in Steve's face with an amused grin. "Your eyes are all over the place right now."

"Just tired," Steve clumsily saved the moment.

"Sure."

Eddie waited for a second and then he flung open the passenger door of his van.

"Absolutely not!" Steve took a step back and almost tripped over a rose bush.

Eddie cracked another grin.

"Nope, I need sleep," Steve said resolutely.

It felt like Eddie's smile was becoming Steve's entire world.

He closed his eyes in resignation.

"Lovely!" Eddie was unstoppable.

They both piled into his van.