epilogue

The next morning Raavi reached to turn off the blaring alarm on the bedside table. She sat up in bed, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. Raavi looked over and saw that Shiva wasn't there. She noticed the familiar bedspread, the pink walls, and the voices of her friends talking in the kitchen. She practically jumped out of her bed, running out of her bedroom still in her pajamas.

All of her friends and family started talking to her at once as a last effort to reconsider going to the sperm bank. It seemed like they had all gotten together and planned an intervention-type gathering. But it didn't matter. She had already made up her mind.

Shiva walked into the apartment, heading straight for the fridge when he noticed everyone looking at Raavi. "Ae gadhedi, agar tera baccha hua na, toh main uske diaper nahi change karoonga, samjhi?" he warned as he grabbed a bottle of Coca-Cola.

Raavi walked over to him, wrapping her arms around his torso. "Main abhi aisa kuch nahi karne waali, don't worry." All of them let out a sigh of relief, interjecting with questions about what made her change her mind. "I just realized that I'm not in the right place for children." It didn't seem worth trying to explain everything when she wasn't sure how it all happened.

Shiva reluctantly returned her hug, gently kissing the top of her head. "Toh, wapis apne disney world mein? 'Mera Rajkumar aayega'?"

"Kuch waisa hi.." She said softly. Raavi looked at him, thinking about how much he was going to change in his future. It was odd knowing this about him and not saying anything, but she couldn't jinx it. What she had experienced felt too real to just be a dream. She could still feel the tingle left from Shiva's lips and the feeling of his hand in her hair. The sound of the kids giggling was so clear in her mind that it was like they were in the room. Her future was with Shiva, in their great house outside of the city with two wonderful kids. Making sure everything ended up that way was her new dream.

He nodded once, moving back towards the door. "Disha mera wait kar rahi hai." He rolled his eyes. Shiva said a general goodbye to the group before leaving.

Raavi quickly followed him out, meeting him in the hallway and grabbing his shirt to get his attention. "Shiva, mujhe bas 'thank you' kehna tha."

"Kisliye?" He put his hands in his pockets, tilting his head slightly as he watched her.

She chewed on her lip, realizing that she couldn't tell him. "Uss din jab tune mere 'donor idea ke bhoot' ko chilla-chilla ke bewakoofi ka naam diya tha, ussliye. Mujhe realize hua ki tu sahi tha.. I'm not ready for something like that."

Shiva stepped closer to her, pursing his lips together. "Mujhe waisa nahi kehna chahiye tha. Mera koi haq nahi tha. Tu jab ready hogi, tab tu sachme duniya ki best Maa banegi. Main samajh sakta hoon ki tere dimaag mein abhi kaisi-kaisi ghantiya baj rahi hongi, par.." He shrugged as he scratched the back of his head. "Mujhe hamesha se lagta tha ki tera upar wala mala bhale hi thoda khaali ho, par tujhe tera Rajkumar milega aur tere yeh jo 'Mother India' banne ke sapne aur pagalpan hai, woh usse jhelega!"

She chuckled slightly at the irony, "Mujhe pata hai ki tu kya mean karta hai. Tere jaise karele ke liye kaafi sweet hai yeh baatein. Aur mujhe ek aur baat pata hai.. Tu duniya ka best Papa banega!" Raavi spoke softly, flattening his collar as she wondered if she would do the same as his wife. She turned back to the her house and went inside without saying anything else, letting him go back to Disha for now.

At first, Shiva smiled at the compliment, but his face fell when he realized what she had said. "Iss Gadhedi ne abhi-abhi kya bola?"