Chapter 2 ~ Black Market Baby

My mother was told that she was one of the last of the infamous Chicago black-market babies. Bought and paid for by her adoptive parents from a doctor whose sideline was selling babies to infertile couples, who perhaps did not legitimately qualify.

Harry and Sydelle married in 1924. Mom was born in 1931, and the "adoption" took place sometime later. But, these newly made parents had no business trying to raise a child. As Mom experienced them in later years, she saw that Harry was hard working but ineffectual. Sydelle was domineering and flighty, and obviously a threat to the child's wellbeing. She was also bipolar, but almost always manic. No doubt the adoption was her idea; one of her magical, fun, brilliant, unstoppable ideas.

We have no knowledge of the obstacles Harry and Sydelle faced in the post-depression world of the early 1930's, nor what interesting, strange, or dangerous incidents may have taken place in those beginning months. But we do know what ended their parenting.

Since she sprang from a well to do family and played the piano, coupled with a grandiose manner, Sydelle knew no limits. She considered herself one of high society, spoke often of important meetings and nonexistent luncheons and outings. Overflowing with delusions of grandeur, she had convinced herself that she, herself, was a person of importance. And since she felt she was someone who belonged in high society, she needed to be out socializing, eating at fancy restaurants, and patronizing upper-class shops. She seriously lived in a Great Gatsby fog.

One day while Harry was at work, she took the baby and organized an outing. She headed into downtown Chicago, booked a room at a hotel, decided to do a little shopping, and find a nice restaurant that offered fine dining. She could rub elbows with the important people there. Of course she left the baby in the hotel room. Well, a frightened, screaming child, left alone in a hotel room absolutely guarantees police involvement. Authorities were notified. They couldn't find Sydelle for hours. Deep scrutiny can be problematic.

After finally locating her and Harry, and remanding Sydelle to the courts and her family, the baby became a real problem. Sydelle's family and the courts committed her to a mental institution. Personally, I would have liked to hear that someone pressed charges...

Harry had to go to work or lose his job, and now being a single father, he had only one option open to him. He would have to ask his mother to take over the care of the child at her home in Milwaukee. Thus begins the next 17 years or so of Mom's life. These were the years she lived with the Captive Kitchen Midget, the Angry Monster of the Middle room, and visited with the Ghost from the Land of Soon.

*******