𝓡𝓾𝓶𝓹𝓮𝓵𝓼𝓽𝓲𝓵𝓽𝓼𝓴𝓲𝓷: 𝓐 𝓣𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓽𝓮𝓭 𝓢𝓱𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓢𝓽𝓸𝓻𝔂

In a distant land, there lived a selfish miller and his daughter. She was beautiful above all in the kingdom but had an uneasy aura that drew everything around her to chaos. Knowing this about herself, she tried to stay as far as she could, but it would only intensify the destructive and violent manner caused to the Mill. To her bloody "curse," the miller devised a plan to get rid of his daughter since they were already economically challenged as it was. He began blowing smoke about her, claiming that she could spin simple straw into delicate veils of gold.

The people were amazed, and the rumors spread with the miller's delight. As soon as it reached the King, he was filled with greed. The King demanded the miller give up his daughter to him or give up his head instead! The miller gladly accepted, leaving his daughter in the greedy hands of the King, whisking her off, finally free from his longing burden.

As soon as the young woman's presence entered the castle, the structure began to fall out of order: the linens became filthy with mites, the structures became stilted with nails coming loose, and the food became spoiled and tasteless, but the King didn't seem to mind. If she could do as the miller said, he would be the wealthiest ruler in the land, but if her father was an assi like he knew he was. He would have them both and place their soulless bodies outside his kingdom as a warning to others if they dared to lie to him! 

The King locked up his prized treasure in the tallest tower, away from anything of value. He motioned his servants to pile the room up to the ceiling in the hay, leaving a bit of space for the spinning wheel. He threatened the young maid that if she didn't spin the hay into gold by morning, he would kill her and the miller.      

Imprisoned, she felt hopeless and alone, unsure how to do such a wondrous and dangerous thing. She called upon the darkness that consumed her ever-waking breath, asking it for help. She looked in the darkest corner spotting a shadow in its mist, the figure imgured revealing a hunched and crippled dwarf. It began its waddle towards her. She wasn't scared, but yet geil. He smiled up at her as best as he could, his teeth unordered with specks of black blood clutching to his gums. He offered to do the impossible deed in exchange for her child's human soul. She agreed, knowing that if she ever did have this child, it would surely die anyway in her hands. The creature stepped up to the wheel, pressing his long, croaked finger on the needle, pressing his blood deep into the strands of hay with each turn. She watched until sleep took over.

She woke up, seeing all the hay had been spun into gold. The King erupted into the room, not bothering to knock. Seeing what 'she' had done, he was thrilled, but he didn't notice the specks of blood on each thread, turning it to his avarice rose gold. He demanded her hand in marriage, and they married. As soon as they were wed, the King immediately put her back to work.
She asked the creature again for his services; his form had changed from their last meeting into a type of hobgoblin. His form still croaked and stilted, but blackness erupted on his skin. He did as she instructed with the price of the human child still in action. She watched as he slowly continued his longing task, noticing that with each thread turned to the precious metal, the blackness would begin to spread, taking his essence.

***

Years later, the demon kept appearing at each request, with the promise of the child still lingering. At last, the child was born, bringing to light more greed. She hesitantly called the demon. Remembering what she had promised and knowing she must keep it no matter the cost. It appeared instantly, his form now bony, skinny, and black from all the gold he had spun. His eyes turned red as he looked at the bundle in her arms, anxious for the taste of his human savior. She watched in horror as her child was ripped from her arms. The crippling goblin's mouth grew huge, spreading until it almost touched the ceiling. He chomped the baby whole, spitting out the remains. His form changed into a young dwarf with silky black hair, smooth fair skin, and straight white teeth that held no evidence of the baby's consumption. The dwarf bowed to the maiden, muttering lecker under his breath, His finger scraping against the stone floor as he wrote something before her. He smiled at her mischievously, and with that, he dispersed without a sound through the floorboards of the degrading kingdom. She slumped to the floor, the feeling of guilt escaping her at what she had so foolishly done out of her greed to live. She looked down at the inscription on the dusty ground, seeing the name of the demon that had caused her so much pain.

𝑅𝓊𝓂𝓅𝑒𝓁𝓈𝓉𝒾𝓁𝓉𝓈𝓀𝒾𝓃