Chapter 6

I slowly opened up my eyes, I had forgotten where I was for a second. My eyes shifted across the room a couple times before I realized I was at Eddie's house. I sat myself up looking for him.

Just a couple moments later Eddie walked into the room, holding a bowl of cereal. To my surprise he was in a change of clothes. Lose sweat pants that barely hung onto his waist, one swift move and they would fall off. Just a graphic t-shit framed his upper body.

"Good morning." He said while shoving the spoon in his mouth.
"You hungry?"
"Not right now." I said sitting myself up.

It was hard for me to wake up and immediately eat.
I'm not sure if my headache was from crying the night before or from drinking a couple beers.
"Ouch-" I sighed rubbing my temples.

"What's up?" Eddie said sitting himself on the edge of the bed.
"My heads killing me" all I wanted to do was lay back down and rest my eyes. I did so, but my eyes opened up again when I heard the spring of Eddie's bed, I looked over and he was walking out of the room again.

When he came back I heard something on the table.
"Here. Drink this." He said sitting himself again in the same spot he was in moments ago.
"Thanks." I said sitting myself up by my elbows.

The water was refreshing going down my throat. Coating the inside of my mouth I drank it all.
I laid myself back down and began to curl up, instead of closing my eyes I just looked at Eddie.

He sat there enjoying his cereal, he didn't even bother to fix his bed head. I stared at him as he lifted the bowl to his mouth, tilting his head back, I watched as his Adam's apple swung up and down as he drank the milk. Once he was done he reached over me and placed the empty bowl on the side table. Giving me a quick smile while doing so.

"How much do we have to do left on the project?" Eddie asked.
Snapping me back into reality.

A wave of sadness washed over me. I began to felt like the only reason why we were hanging out together was because of the project. Would he have talked to me if we weren't assigned partners?

"Uh, just a couple more things and then I can finalize it." I said rubbing my eyes.

"Okay-" he said softly "do you want to work on it tonight?"
"Yeah we can" I said sitting up.

"Alright." He said loudly as his hands clapped onto the top of his knees "I'll drop you off and then go over again around 6?"

I didn't want to get out of Eddie's warm bed but I got the signals he was ready for me to leave.
-
-
Once again Eddie ran up to his car and opened the door up for me. It was a cold morning, I didn't even know what time it was. But I'm sure my mom was either asleep or barely getting home from work.

"What time is it?" I asked as Eddie buckled himself up, starting the car.
"Uh-" he said flicking his wrist to his face "11:33"
Shit. My mom wouldn't be asleep. She's be awake for the day getting her dinner ready for work.

"Uh-" I began "when you drop me off can you not park in-front of my house?" My eyes wondered to him
"I-I just don't want my mom to ask anything."
I'm not sure why I was worried, I guess I just didn't know how to explain that Eddie was dropping me off when I told my mom I was staying at a friends.
"Okay?" He said slowly.

The drive home was silent. In a way I was still trying to wake up. Eddie drove up to my house and I began to panic. Did he forget? Suddenly the van came to a stop. Just one house down from me. I looked over at him confused.

"I don't want you walking to far." He said and his hand gripped the handle, shifting into park.
"Thanks." I smiled gathering my things.
"I'll see you later Eddie." I said opening the door and jumping out.

I expected to hear his van shift into drive, but he didn't. I quickly ran up to my house, fumbling with my keys I opened the door. I heard Eddie slowly drive away as I turned back to close the door.

"Hi honey." I was greeted by my moms soft voice.
"Hi mom." I said placing my stuff down on the table.
I walked up behind her, and she was doing exactly what I thought. Cooking dinner at 11am.

I didn't say a word, but I wrapped my arms around my mom, placing my head on her back.
"What's that for kid?" She said putting down her cooking tools.

"I just-" I didn't know what to say.
"I love you mom." I said as she turned around facing me.

Her eyes grew wide, looking at me she placed her soft hands on my cheeks. Examining me I think she could tell I was crying the night before. My eyes were still a bit swollen. She gently kissed my forehead.
"I love you more."

My mom and I just stood there in the kitchen catching up, during the week we rarely saw each other, typically she was sleeping while I was leaving for school. It was nice to sit there talking to my mom.

"How was it at your friends house?" She asked

"Good." I smiled. "I-I talked about dad."

She froze. Turning her body towards me, her eyes nearly popped out of her head.
"But I didn't cry!" I laughed "well- I didn't cry a lot."

"Awe honey." She smiled "I'm glad you have a friend you feel comfortable enough sharing that with."

"Yeah." I couldn't stop thinking about Eddie.
A friend...