To Know and Love

It was not often that it happened, but even Aether wasn't immune to the whims of his heart. She could see the warnings starting to make an appearance in his actions. Yesterday, he kept getting lost in thought, and now today he was eerily quiet. Paimon easily filled the air with her constant ramblings which must have been her own way of trying to lift the boy's spirits, but his mood had not changed since that morning. (Y/n) knew better than to let him him continue on like this. Once they reached Mondstat she would-

"Hey, isn't that Venti?" Paimon pointed at the figure walking ahead of them. They were all nearing the bridge to Mondstadt, so they were bound to cross paths. Aether focused his gaze on the archon and immediately seemed to brighten. Seeing his eyes light with hope put (y/n)'s worry at ease for the time being.

"I wonder what he's doing," Aether spoke up as the archon in disguise waved at them from afar.

"Knowing him, he's probably heading to the Angel's Share," (y/n) sighed. Both Aether and Paimon displayed their own varying degrees of disappointment at the thought of Venti being passed out at the bar.

"Traveler, it's a pleasure to see you again! The same to you two as well!" Venti greeted them once they met at the bridge. "What brings all people you out on this lovely evening?"

"We've been camping out ever since returning from Liyue," Paimon began to answer. "It gets really tough sleeping outside, you know. (Y/n) had the idea for us to spend a night or two at the inn here in Mondstat before we leave again."

"A wonderful choice," Venti said with a wink. He was always proud of his nation and what it had become.

"What about you? Are you heading somewhere?" (y/n) asked.

"Yup! The moments leading up to the setting sun are the perfect times to have good fun. People are glad to listen to my music when we meet, and they don't turn me down what I ask for an apple as a treat!" Venti flashed them a playful grin. "Would you like to listen to my melodies before you end your day? It's too early for bed, don't you think? Plenty of hours left for the sun to share it's light."

"Now way!" Paimon immediately answered. "I'm starving! It's been way too long since I've know the taste of fresh sticky honey roast." The poor flying companion was drilling just thinking about the dish.

"I did promise we'd get her some," Aether said. "But before you go, I wanted to ask you...have you found anything? About my sister?"

Venti brought his hand to his chin. "I'm afraid not. But I'm sure the knights have come across something by now. Be sure to ask them before you leave town." Aether smiled and nodded at the response. His silence seemed to return as the four of them headed into the city. Once again, it was Paimon that carried the conversation with (y/n) intersecting between her and Venti ever so often. They ended up walking Venti up to the courtyard in front of the cathedral.

By pure coincidence, they spotted Amber on their way to the Good Hunter. "Traveler!" Amber saw him first and waved. She greeted Paimon and (y/n) as well once she was closer. "I didn't know you had come back to Mondstat. How has our Honorary Knight been faring?"

If Aether had answered that question truthfully, (y/n) wouldn't be the only one concerned for him. She wondered if she was the only one who could see through his act as he told Amber, in so many words, that he was perfectly fine. It was a blatant lie from (y/n)'s perspective.

Before Aether could ask his question, a merchant from amidst the crowd appeared. "Ah finally, the knights. Please, I beg of you. There is a group of hilichurls blocking the path towards Springvale. Many of us have been to afraid to pass through that area. Can you please send someone to handle the situation as soon as possible? It's causing many of us merchants great distress."

"We'll handle it," (y/n) told the man without hesitation.

"Huh?!" Of course Paimon would object. "What about my sticky honey roast?" She pouted as she crossed her arms.

(Y/n) couldn't afford to miss this opportunity. "Amber, can you please do us a favor and take Paimon to Good Hunter while we handle this? I'll compensate you for your time." She reached into her pouch and got out enough mora to cover thirds for Paimon and seconds for Amber should she desire to eat while there.

"Oh, you don't have to do that. Think of it as thanks for all that you two do for us here in Mondstat." She smiled and turned to Paimon. "Let's go get some food!"

"You really are amazing, (y/n)," Paimon exclaimed. "Be safe out there. I'll be waiting with Amber until you both get back."

With that, they parted ways, and (y/n) hoped that they would not run into anyone else along the way. As they made their way towards Springvale, (y/n) didn't say a word which Aether seemed to be grateful for. His downcast mood was far more noticeable now that Paimon wasn't present. She was often the reason that Aether hid his emotions since Paimon could get overly worried whenever he was upset about something.

"There they are." (Y/n) spotted the hilichurls ahead of time once she and Aether had reached the area. She grabbed his arm to stop him for a moment. When he looked at her, she saw how cloudy his eyes were. Their usual shine was gone. "Steady your blade. I don't want you to get hurt." He said nothing in return, but he did reassure her with a gentle smile.

The hilichurls stood no chance against the both of them. During the fight, (y/n) still noticed that Aether was making small mistakes, but she was there to have his back. She let them walk away from what used to be the camp before she couldn't bear to take it anymore. She wanted Aether to shine like the sun he was. This cloud following him around needed to go away.

"Aether," she calmly called him by his name. Apparently, it wasn't used often by anyone other than herself and Paimon. Everyone else knew Traveler, but they did not know Aether. "Come here," (y/n) spoke when he faced her. Her arms were outstretched as she waited. "It's okay, come here," she repeated when Aether simply stood and stared. She saw his lips beginning to quiver as his neutral expression morphed into sorrow. (Y/n) could feel him shaking as she embraced him. "You don't have to pretend to be okay in front of me, Aether. I can handle it."

Those words broke him. Within seconds he was sobbing. His hands clung to her tightly as he hid his face from view while still within the hug. (Y/n) didn't have to ask him what had him so torn. She already knew of his goal and constant failure at achieving it. He was too kind for his own good sometimes.

"We'll find her." (Y/n) rubbed his back to further soothe him. "I'll do everything in my power to make sure of it. You have my word." And she intended to show him with her actions as well. That was something Aether was well aware of especially knowing that (y/n) had been more than willing to join him on his quest.

"Thank you," Aether quietly breathed. His tears had subsided, but his trembling had not stopped. (Y/n) gave him a moment to pull himself together, still holding him in a warm embrace. The sky was turning colors, an indication that they would need to make haste in getting back to the city.
To (y/n)'s surprise, Aether pulled her closer to him before she could express her concerns about the current time. "I realize it's selfish of me...but promise you'll never leave. Promise you'll never let them take you away too," he spoke just above a whisper.

"Of course, I promise." (Y/n) gave him one last back rub before he let go. One of his hands lingered on her waist a moment, and he leaned towards her ever so slightly. "Aether...?" Her lifted a hand to caress her cheek as a mix of rosey colors rose to his own face.

"I..." Aether spoke quietly but was unable to get his words out.

(Y/n) smiled at him and leaned forward to give him a quick kiss. "I know," she mumbled to him.

Aether managed a laugh. (Y/n) saw the light returning to his eyes when he locked gazes with her for that moment, but something else also dwelled within them. She was too late to identify it. Aether had already brought his other hand up to her face and leaned forward to kiss her again. "Thank you for staying by my side, (y/n)." The people knew him as Traveler. (Y/n) knew him as Aether, and she loved every part of him.
____________________________________

First oneshot I ever made in the Genshin Impact universe. Hope you enjoyed it! Until next time you awesome readers!