Even So

Living as a pure descendant of Khaenri'ah's scattered people was not easy.

        People treated her strangely even though they didn't always know why she was different from everyone else. Her eyes were her biggest insecurity since it gave away her lineage to people knowledgeable about the destroyed civilization. She had come to terms with it by now, but it still bothered her every now and then.

        Today's shopping list was a more pressing matter than her idle thoughts though. She wanted to stock up on her favorites since she wasn't sure how much longer she'd be in town.

        "Hey, you there!" (Y/n) was too lost in thought to realize that the voice was directed at her. "I'm talking to you! Don't ignore me!"

        The moment the man put his hand on her shoulder, (y/n)'s reaction was to disable him. He immediately cried out as she maneuvered herself to twist his arm behind his back. Almost immediately, she realized what she had done and let him go.

        "I'm so sorry," she quickly apologized.

        "What's wrong with you?! First you steal from me, and now you're assaulting me!"

        Steal? (Y/n) knew for sure that she hadn't stolen anything. In fact, she hadn't even bought anything yet!

        "I believe you have the wrong person," (y/n) said in hopes of diffusing the situation. Already, people were either fleeing the scene or gathering around based on their ability to mind their own business. It didn't help that a pair of the local authorities were nearby and observing the situation.

        "That necklace!" He pointed at the thin gden chain from her neck. The gold heart hanging on the end of it was hidden beneath her shirt. Yes, (y/n) had just gotten it the day before, but it had been through perfectly legal means. "You were hanging around my stand looking around without buying anything. When you left, one of the necklaces was gone! You going to stand there and deny that the necklace isn't identical? Huh?"

        "I was wearing this the entire time!" (Y/n) pulled the necklace out to reveal the gold heart. "This belongs to me. It was a gift. You need to calm down. I am not a thief."

        "See it's the same one! You did steal it!"

        Despite her protesting, (y/n) began to hear murmurs in the crowd. Someone pointed out the difference of her eyes while another blindly agreed with the accusing merchant. She was tempted to charge right out of the crowd, but someone else charged in before anything else could be said or done.

        "Traveler! I'm glad you're here!" The merchant was quick to approach and stop Aether who had found his way into the escalating situation. "This girl came by my stand and stole a necklace. Now she's denying it even though she has it right there with her. Please, do something about this."

        Aether went around the complaining man to approach (y/n). "Are you alright? Did he touch you?"

        "I'm fine. He did but I accidentally attacked him in response." (Y/n) didn't hesitate to stand behind him as he turned to face the upset man.

        "What's going on? Why aren't you taking that back from her?"

        "I was the one who gave her the necklace." The area fell relatively silent at Aether's claim. "I bought it from you yesterday and gave it to her as a gift. I'm sure you remember the mora I paid you for it after completing your commission." He narrowed his eyes and crossed his arms before continuing. "Someone else stole from you, not (y/n). You owe her an apology."

        At some point during Aether's explaination, a majority of the people who had sided with the merchant left the area as quickly as an Inazuman seelie. Anyone left over began to shop at the surrounding stands pretending not to notice the outcome of the conflict.

        The merchant apologized in earnest, maybe even in fear. Afterall, Aether had already made his name known in this region as well. (Y/n) just usually assisted from behind the scenes which was why no one knew much about her or Aether's relation to one another. The incident most likely left questions in the peoples' minds as Aether left the scene with (y/n) triumphantly following behind him.

        "How did you know I was in trouble? I thought you said you were going to leave the shopping trip to me," she asked. Aether's timing had been well placed.

        "You left your mora with me," he informed with a slight laugh. (Y/n) almost stopped in her tracks. She checked for said mora and found that she didn't have any with her. "It's probably a good thing you forgot this time, but please be careful next time around." He flinched and looked over to his side. (Y/n) had clung to his arm on the verge of tears. "I can go with you next time too if that will help," he quietly added.

        "Yeah, that would be nice. Thanks."

        "No problem." Aether hesitated for a bit. "Don't let stuff like that get to you. I'll always be around to protect you. Even when I'm not there, don't ever forget how much I believe in you."

        "Yeah, I know..." she mumbled in agreement.

        "Hm? Isn't that on your list of things to get?" Aether stopped them at a shop.

        "Huh?" (Y/n) quickly looked over at the various items but didn't see anything in particular. "What are you talking abo-" she cut herself short when Aether kissed her cheek.

        "Gotcha!" (Y/n) looked back at him trying to stop herself from grinning at his surprise attack. "Cheer up! Let's go get the rest of the stuff you wanted. Today's going to be a good day!"

        "But what about that?" (y/n) said pointing behind him.

        "Nice try," he immediately realized. (Y/n) smiled and kissed him back anyway.

        "Today already is a good day."
____________________________________

Couldn't come up with a better title...haha. Until next time you lovely readers!