Hero's Woe

Will contain slight spoilers regarding the Sakred Sakura Tree Cleansing quest.
____________________________________

        She stared absent-mindedly at the heated waters around her. Just as advertised by Aisa Bathhouse's owner, (y/n) did indeed find that her heart was warmed, but it wasn't because of the hot spring. No, the hot spring was just there to serve as a distraction from what was truly on her mind.

        Aether decided to stay in his room instead of experiencing the highly praised so called healing power of the hot springs. He'd been as good natured as possible with his decline to go. That within itself had not bothered her because (y/n) knew that his heart was heavy with the events from earlier that day. Even (y/n) was still saddened and quite exhausted from the cleansing of the Sacred Sakura Tree.

        The sound of strangers making their way towards the springs snapped (y/n)'s mind back into focus. There had been plenty of time for her to enjoy the waters and ease her mind, so she decided to leave before anyone else unintentionally disturbed her solitude.

        As she passed by the newcomers after changing back into her clothes, she inwardly expressed relief at her decision to leave. It was just a group of Tenryou Commission samurai, but she would rather not overhear anything that she didn't want anything to do with. They said nothing to her, so she slipped away to her rented room to check on Aether. They had decided to spend the night in Inazuma City before heading to Watatsumi Island the following day.

        "Hey, are you alright?" (y/n) asked as she entered the room and slid the door closed behind her.

        Aether sat on the floor with that mask still in his hand. His gaze slowly shifted to her to wordlessly tell her how he was feeling. "I know it had to be done...but why does it still hurt?" His voice was soft, almost a whisper. "I know I can't save everyone. I know, but..."

        (Y/n) gave him a sad smile. He was a strong individual. Many times she had seen him make it through trials of similar circumstances. It wasn't just this task that had gotten him so upset. It was just simply this one that finally brought out those burried emotions. (Y/n) had already shed her tears during her time in the hot spring where no one had been there to watch.

        What words could she possibly offer him? He already knew the answer to the questions he hadn't yet asked. Instead, she kept silent and sat next to him to take hold of his free hand. Aether leaned onto her shoulder and closed his eyes for a moment. That time served its purpose in giving him the peace he needed to regain that strong front of his. The kind of strength that heroes needed in order to keep being heroes.

        (Y/n) could not remember all of the times that Aether had performed selfless acts that came at the cost of his emotional health. Just as most heroes did, he kept those negative thoughts and feelings hidden from those that he helped, but (y/n) saw it all. She witnessed that side of him that he didn't want others to worry about.

        "Thank you. I think I'll be okay now," Aether spoke up. He got up to put the mask away in a safe place before returning to her side. (Y/n) noticed even more now that he hadn't bothered to do anything for himself since arriving at the bathouse inn. His braid was still disheveled, and his eyes still gave away how fatigued he was.

        (Y/n) thought back to the samurai that had gone to the hot spring. If Aether went there now, he wouldn't have the same luxury of solitude that she had.

        "Come here for a moment, will you?" (Y/n) gestured for him to move a little closer. He let out a hum of acknowledgement that seemed to be more of a questioning sound than anything. Even so, he did just as she asked. "I know you'll just fix it in the morning before we leave," she began to say. Her arm reached behind him to catch hold of his hair and pull the gently braid forward. "That means you wouldn't mind if I undid this, right?"

        "You're usually the reason I have to rebraid it to begin with," Aether said with a laugh. "Go on. Do your worst."

        "You make it sound like you don't actually enjoy it," (y/n) teased even as she began to unravel his hair. Playing with the golden strands was one of her favorite pass times. "Weren't you the one who asked me to start doing this to begin with? Hm?"

        Aether closed his eyes rather than avoiding her gaze. "Well yes, I was. I never said I didn't like it either," he answered. His ears were beginning to flush in the shades of sunsettias. "You just don't usually ask me yourself."

        "Well, I thought it would cheer you up. Plus your hair is so soft," she said while taking the braid apart. Aether's hair began to flow over his shoulder and down his back as she did so. She herself didn't realize how much her own eyes sparkled at the sight of it. "If I start to bother you, just let me know. I'll leave you alone."

        Aether's features began to soften into loving stare. "You would never bother me." He lifted her hand away from his hair and turned around so that it was all well within reach. "I feel much better now. Maybe I'll try out the hot spring before we leave tomorrow." (Y/n) hugged him and he leaned back into her hold. Aether leaned his head to the side so that he could look back at her. "Then after that I'll have to go back to being the well renowned traveler again. You'll help me out like this again if the time comes, won't you?"

        (Y/n) muzzled her cheek against the top of his head. "Of course I would." Why wouldn't she? "Always for as long as you need me to." She went back to playing in his hair again to keep his mind off of the future for the time being. Those worries could be saved for when they actually arose. "Thank you for being everyone's hero, Aether. My hero."
____________________________________

I'm starting to realize that this actually isn't short. I just started out writing more than my usual when I started this book and now I'm conflicted haha. Anyways, until next time you extraordinary readers!