Chapter Twenty Two

"You are thinking irrationally," Wisdom had protested, the only one to see Kath duck in the house, grab her coat, and storm off. "This is the post-adrenalin rush of fear. I know..."

"Whatever," said Kath. "Tell 'em it's fine. I'll call a taxi at Widdecombe. I got GPS. It's a ten minute walk. See ya around."

And ignoring the tremble in her voice, ignoring the sight of Lady and Pes slowly making their way back from the other side of the property, she still leaning on him for support, she walked off. Pes waved, but she ignored that, too.

How could she? I...OK. I got it wrong. It was a trap. And I wasn't focussing. But... her own thoughts trailed lamely off. Hot tears were threatening again; she pushed them away once more. A weight at her waist made her glance down - of course, she was still wearing the armour, the dirk strapped to her belt. She grimaced. I'll post it back or something. I ain't going back now.

"Alright," she whispered to the empty sky. "I made a mistake. But...why doesn't anyone ever...mistakes happen, and it was...I thought it was the right thing to do..."

"Humans," laughed something behind her, sibilant and sneering. "They always do. The little Guardians that hang around with that weak human water bitch, her little friends, her pathetic father, all...so...weak. Making your silly choices. We watched you. You don't know a thing of your powers. There's no leeway in war, little girl."

Kath spun round - too late she could feel something moving on the air. "Get back," she snarled. "I ain't part of this any more."

The voice laughed again. "As if you could give up what you are so easily? You foolish child. So kind of you to fall for our little decoy, to come meet us alone. We will make good use of your Sight, abomination. The Lord of Dark Eternity will relish meeting you. And for this, his brother gave up the love of his twin, to share magic with the likes of you? I know his hatred, my master, his unending pain! Because of things like you!"

"Get the hell away from me!" Kath raised her voice, balling her fists. Where the hell is it? I can't...

Focus, whispered Lady's voice in her mind. You can See me! Laughed Innocence. Where am I?

Through the laughter, Kath grasped at the whispers of her friends. Stop spinning about! You can't see it...See it, instead.

As if you'd be any use for that, said her mother, blasé, dismissing her through the years. You need to help those who can do rather than messing up yourself. The tiny pocket of calm in her mind she thought she had a grasp on, faded away.

"Can you not find me?" whispered the voice. "Heartbreaking. I'll make it easier for you." The air convulsed, and Kath was no longer alone on the pony-cropped grass ; she was surrounded. They were something vaguely feline, something vaguely bipedal, and mostly a mass of seething, roiling darkness.

"I am Night," whispered the leader. Kath stumbled backwards, more than ready to run like hell now, but they were there, too, circling her, sniggering under their breath. "The first fear. Not a bastard offshoot of terror like poor Dream, not a human lackey like Pestilence, too enamoured of a mortal whelp to see his own power. I am the right hand of the Darkness. And under our control, you will lead us to them all, little girl."

"The hell I will," Kath snapped, her stomach knotting itself up. There has to be a way through them! I have to get out of here...

Night laughed. "How charming, that you think you have a choice." He motioned to the circling minions. "Pin her, and we shall take her." One moved forward, stroking a tendril down her upper arm, claws extending to catch her in its grasp. The others began to press in.

"No!" Just in time, in panicked desperation, Kath caught the ripples on the air just before they moved, telegraphing their motions. She yanked her arm away from the first one and wheeled back, turning, trying to keep her eyes on all of them. Huh? That's how it works? You have to...feel. Rather than look. I remember. With Dream. Sensing her. But...I never got it, I never controlled it...

Focus, Lady had said. Kath dropped her hand, and the dirk at her waist bumped against her fingers. She tore it out of the sheath - the aquamarine was warm to her hand. I don't think I have a choice.

Night sprang, and yes, she could See the projections of his movement like so many neon lines in the air, and she spun again out of the way, slashing the dirk haphazardly at the catlike muzzle.

"You wish to play?" Night wasn't laughing any more; with a hiss, starlight claws tore from the shreds of darkness that formed his forepaws. "Amusing. But we do not require you whole."

Time seemed to slow and Kath could sense the boiling mass of bodies bearing down on her, moments before they sprang to do so. Stab straight! She plunged the blade into the nearest piece of body and rolled through the mass as it moved, freeing herself from the bunch of them.

Now run! For gods' sakes! She took to her heels; without turning she could feel the beasts merge into one. In her mind's eye - although she knew it was a true Seeing - she felt it fall to all four paws, bunch itself up and leap after her, covering the distance with terrifying speed.

"I underestimated you," Night howled, "But you are still weak."

"I am not!" Kath screamed back, hating herself for wasting her breath as she pressed herself forward. Faster, faster! Pretend you're running for the goal line. Clutching the dirk, she pressed her fingers to the aquamarine. Lady, can you hear me? There's a Guardian out here...she tried to imagine Lady's face, pushing her thoughts out through the air to her one-time companion. She was reaching a road - not the village centre, but tarmac, at least, and the sight of it was oddly comforting, with the weight of the Night bearing down on her from behind. She swerved to avoid it as she hit the concrete, and the beast crashed past her, skidding on the grass verge and swinging round, snarling. Kath readied the dirk in front of her, trying to mimic Lady's stances from her memory. I can do this. I'm...I'm focussing. I get it. I think. I don't have a choice...She fought down the twisting band of terror in her chest, the urge to vomit or cry or scream - it wouldn't help. It was her and the Night, now. It parted its jaws in a grin - it knew, it knew, of course it did. She hadn't learned in time. She didn't stand a chance...even if she ducked out of its way for a while she couldn't fight...

She heard the screeching brakes before she saw the massive car spin in between her and the monster; out of the car stepped Alexander, glowing with inhuman power - no, he was two figures, one embossed on top of the other - Lady's father, and a tall, shining man Kath didn't recognise, but instantly knew who it was. His presence was overwhelming; she crashed to her knees again.

"You are not welcome here," said Alexander, and his voice was as dual as his form, a physical force pushing back the Guardian. It screeched and clawed at him, but he was shimmering with an aura not unlike Lady's, but a thousand times stronger, blinding as sunlight. Kath shielded her eyes as the beast fell back.

"This is not over!" it roared, and turned, evaporating into itself.

Kath fell backwards onto the grass. Alexander knelt beside her, shining and unbearable on her eyes, although his expression was gentle.

"How'd...you know?" Kath whispered. He smiled.

"My daughter...called me. She is weak, but she felt you calling her, through the stone." He held out his hand to help her stand. "Will you come back home with me?"

Kath paused, but only for a moment. I'll...I'll see them again. And...they were right. Can I do it? Can I face them?

She looked up into the sunlight eyes of the ancient man and the soldier. "Yeah. OK."