Chapter 14 - Eddies POV

I feel Steves breathing slow as he falls asleep leaning against my shoulder. My heart swells as I trace the outline of his shirt with my fingertip, savoring every moment I have holding him this way. I don't know what it is about this man, how he affects me the way he does, but I'm certain after the events of tonight...I'm into him. After that moment on my bed, Steve staring up at me with wide eyes and a blush covered face, I'm almost certain he feels the same. But if I'm wrong, there could be severe consequences.

I wonder what I should do, I mean, how could I know for sure without straight up asking him, "hey Steve, do you like me or are we just flirting for shits and giggles?"

I sigh out of frustration. I hate this. I've never really been with a guy before. You know, other than meaningless hook ups with dudes who were curious but would rather die than have anyone but the resident freak know, cuz that's what I am. A place for people to dump their dirty laundry and then leave.

Suddenly, a thought pops in my head. I mean, who knows Steve better than anyone? Robin. Robin, who is also conveniently a good friend of mine as well.

I made a final decision to talk to Robin tomorrow. I know Steve has to work, and Robin is working as well, so that would work out conveniently. We'd just have to find a way to distract Steve, which honestly isn't all that difficult. I smile to myself, proud of the fool proof plan I have put together.

Steves soft, rhythmic breathing makes me sleepy. I look over at the man next to me and admire his sleeping face. He looks so calm and soft this way, without a trace of stress or fear. He looks happy. I consider waking him up so he could get comfortable on my bed, or on the couch if he wanted, but he just looks so peaceful like this. I would feel too guilty waking him up and expecting him to move. 

I shift the tiniest bit to make myself more comfortable, and I allow my eyes to close. The movie was still playing in the background, but I've already seen it before so I haven't really been paying much attention. Slowly the rise and fall of Steves chest and the quiet noises coming from the TV sooth me to sleep. 

- The next morning - 

I wake up, not recognizing the scene in front of me. After I take a look around and wake up a bit, I realize I'm on the couch, covered in a blanket. I begin to panic a bit as I remember Steve was sitting with me last night, but he's nowhere to be seen now. I jump up and walk into the kitchen, searching to see if he was there first. He's not, but I see a little note on the kitchen counter. It reads:

Eddie, I didn't want to wake you but I had to head out for work. I made some scrambled eggs, I left some for you (the plate in the fridge covered in cling wrap). Give me a call when you wake up. - Steve :)

I smile at the note, holding it gently so I don't wrinkle it. I've never had someone cook breakfast for me before. With Wayne working nights, he always comes home and immediately falls asleep, not that I blame him. My heart flutters as I work my way over to the fridge, opening it up to reveal the plate Steve mentioned in the note. I take it out and remove the cling wrap, placing it in the microwave to warm the food up. As I start it up, I check the time on my watch. 11 am. I think Steves morning shifts start at 10 am, so he's probably been gone for over an hour. 

The microwave beeps and I pull the plate out and grab a fork, standing by the kitchen counter once again to eat. As I take a bite I remember Steve asked me to give him a call, so I wander over to the phone sitting on the wall in the living room and dial Family Videos number. It rings a couple times before a familiar voice answers.

"Hi, thanks for calling Family Video. This is Steve speaking. How may I help you this morning?" 

"Aw your customer service voice is cute Stevie, they should give you a raise for that one." I tease Steve, laughing as I hear a dry chuckle from the other side of the call.

"Ha ha very funny Munson. I'm assuming you saw my note since you're calling?"

"Yeah I did, thanks for breakfast by the way. You make damn good scrambled eggs." I stand with my back against the wall, twirling the cord attatched to the phone. As soon as I notice I'm doing it I pause, letting the cord fall against the wall. Jesus Christ, what am I, a middle schooler?

"I take pride in my egg making skills, considering they're the only food I can make without having to look at a recipe." I hear some muffled talking in the background, followed by Steves irritated voice saying, "Yeah yeah one second. Theres nobody here anyway. Cool your jets."

I roll my eyes, still smiling. I bet Robin's giving him shit for being on the phone for so long.

"Hey, sorry about that. Robin seems to be incapable of going without talking to Vickie for more than an hour at a time." I can feel the sarcasm lacing Steves words.

"You're all good. I should get going anyway. I gotta shower and stuff. I'll talk to you later?" I try to keep my voice from sounding too hopefull or needy. It's not like we're dating or anything, so I don't wanna come off as clingy.

"Yeah of course! Oh also, I was meaning to tell you. My parents have left on another trip. This morning I went to grab my walkman from the house because I forgot it last time I was there. They're gonna be gone for a whole month this time. Spain, I guess. But anyway, I wanted to have you, Robin, Vickie, and the kids over to hang out in my pool? I know it's spring and cold but the pool is heated and the little shits have been bugging me to swim for about a week now. It would be cool if you came and hung out. Maybe you could spend the night at my house to make up for the fact I've been taking up the couch at yours?" 

I try not to seem disappointed that he wouldn't be here for the night anymore, but that disappointment is quickly replaced with excitement. "Totally, sounds fun. I could bring some snacks and beers for us as well. I'll also bring an overnight bag. What time should I head over?"

"Well we get off at 3 today, so any time after that? I have to drop Robin at home to change and stuff but she says Vickie could take them both after they get ready, and the kids are finding their own way to my house so I'm not on pick up duty, thank God." Steve mumbles the last part so I almost don't hear it. Almost.

I laugh into the phone, "Okay princess, I'll see you at 3. Can't wait." And with that I hang up the phone, walking back over to the counter to finish my eggs, the smile never leaving my face.

After breakfast I decide to get ready, picking out an outfit for the day and jumping in the shower. I think about what I'm going to say to Robin. Should I be honest about my feelings towards Steve? Surely she'd keep our conversation a secret. Or should I keep it vague, only ask about Steve's sexuality? Although I feel it'll be fairly obvious why I'm asking if I only bring up Steves sexuality.  I lean against the shower wall, forehead pressing against the cool tile. I hate how complicated this feels. One move in the wrong direction and I won't only put myself at risk, but Steve too, and that's the last thing I wanted. I take a step back and stand under the shower head, allowing the warm water to flow over my face. Romantic feelings suck, but Steve is worth it.

As I get out of the shower I decide I'll just be honest with Robin. It'll be good practice for if I end up confessing to Steve. 

(A/N - okay so i know i said i would make this one big chapter, but it was nearing 5k words and I didn't wanna completely overwhelm anyone, so I split it up. The next chapter will be longer, but I'm posting it immediately after this one, hopefully that makes up for my splitting up the big chapter.)