Chapter 1

This takes place in the end of 3x15 where Welch tell Dawson bout Casey and Beth. Just FYI, Shay IS still alive and Dawson is still a paramedic. Yes she went through the training but she didn't follow through after she failed the first time. oh and there is a mild use of language and inappropriate terms.

Dawson couldn't believe the man in front of her. He really had the balls to walk up to her and try to be nice? After all the crap he put her through? No way.

"Hey look," he began. "I know we have our history, alright, but I really want this job to work."

That somehow seemed hilarious to Dawson. So when she tried to make things work, there was no way on earth that it was going to happen, but now that he wanted to make things work, (just because he was in their station) she was supposed to bend over backwards so he could get what he wants? Yeah,right.

"Well it's not going to if we don't feel you have our backs," she replied with a glare. She could see his whole demeanor change by her statement and thought that maybe he had realized she was right. But then she saw something in his eyes.. Something that screamed out that things were just about to escalate. Something that showed her that he knew something BIG that she didn't, and that, to be honest, worried her.

"Ok," he began, "we'll how's this. I am sorry that I didn't take you at your word the other day that you and Casey split up... I believe it now."

Oh, great. Here it comes.

"but you should let your lieutenant know that he can't be making out with the chiefs ex on the apparatus floor..."

Dawson never expected to ever be hearings those words. Yes, Casey and her had broken up, but they had been dating for a LONG time. Hell, they were even engaged. She had to be the one that cried herself to sleep at night, while he was the one screwing off with Beth? Figures. Congratulations Matt Casey, you have found another way to stir things up again.

Dawson wasn't really paying attention to what Welch said next, because she was too worried about her heart that was sunk to the floor and her breakfast threatening to make its way out her throat. But somehow, she heard him loud and clear.

"Or Pritchett will destroy him."

As he walked away, Gabby felt a piece of her leave with him. She had this feeling in her gut, one she had never felt before, but she sure as Hell wishes that she will never have to feel again. She can feel the tears burning her eyes.

After all the had been through. The injuries, her training, the realization that they could've died on the day that he first proposed on and promising each other to never hold anything back again because they knew life was too short. After every single thing they had been through he could just move on like that? If he had cared so much how can he do this so fast?

Gabby could feel a tear or two slide down her face. She was angry that he had this effect on her. She knows that she can't let him get to her like this but somehow she can't stop it. She feels shaky and nervous and she can't stop her chest from aching so much. She threw the paintbrush she was using to repaint the numbers on the hose like Herrmann had asked her onto the table in front of her.

She started to breathe heavily and fast. She rested her hands on top of the desk as she attempted to slow her breathing. She began to shake as she began to silently sob. She knew it was ridiculous and she knew it was unprofessional but she couldn't help it. She was in pain, both physically and mentally.

Shay had been restocking the ambulance when she looked over at Dawson only to see her with her hands on the table and her head down shaking. She knew it had to be something bad if Dawson, the girl hard as steel, was crying. She dropped the gauze packages she was holding into one of the ambo bins and ran over to her.

She put a reassuring hand onto her friends back and began to rub circles. She could see a few tears on her face which confirmed her theory of her crying. She knew Dawson wouldn't want to talk about it right away so she just wanted her to know that she was there for her.

"Hey, it's okay," she commented. Gabby removed her hands on the table, allowing her to stand up. She just stood there for a few moments looking down on the floor, still breathing erratically. Shay wrapped her arms around her, bringing her in for a hug. Gabby accepted it, and they just stood there for a while. Shay could feel her shoulder was wet and pulled back from the hug. Gabbys breathing had slowed down back to normal. When they pulled apart, shay pushed some hair on Gabbys face behind her ear. Gabby used her hand to wipe her tears, and released a deep breath.

"Thank you Shay," she started, " I don't know what I would do without you."

Shay smiled at what Gabby said and knew she was sincere. Instead of making this situation mushier than it already was, Shay decided to make her best friend laugh, to take her mind off things.

"Hey, that's what lesbians are for right? Helping other girls get over guys?"

Gabby let out a soft chuckle followed by a sniffle.

Just then the familiar alarms went off. "Ambulance 61, truck 81, squad 3, house fire.."

Gabby started to enter the ambulance but stopped when she heard Casey yell out her name as he was running towards her. "Gabby wait," he called. She turned around slowly, the passenger door open. She had one hand on the door, the other grasping the handle inside the vehicle enabling her to pull herself in at any time.

"Are you ok?" He began, " I was washing the windows when I saw Welch talking to you and when he walked away... I um... It looked like it hit you pretty hard."

Gabby was irritated with herself for not looking up before she broke down, she had heard that the chief made the guys start cleaning the windows but completely forgot. Idiot move on her part. She was extremely hurt and was very angry at him. She wanted to respond, but at the same time she had no words for him. She simply ignored him and pulled herself inside the ambulance.

As she reached out to grasp the door and shut it, Casey grabbed her arm.

"Gabby, what's going on," he asked.

She turned her head to face him and pulled harshly away from his grasp.

"Don't you dare touch me," she snapped. He just stood there with a blank face. He had never seen her like this before. She took advantage of his reaction and slammed the door shut. As soon as she did, the sirens turned on and Casey watched as they drove away.

"Hey lieutenant," Cruz called out, "you coming?" Casey nodded and turned his head one last time to get another glimpse of the ambulance now taking a turn around the corner. He grabbed his stuff and hopped into the truck. Now he definitely knew he was screwed.

As they arrived on scene, they could see an apartment building engulfed in flames. There was a woman and a child yelling from the top floor for help. This was going to be a fighter.

hey guys thanks for reading. I am completely open to constructive criticism so if you think of anything let me know. Please leave reviews to let me know how I'm doing! I'll update ASAP(: