Chapter 5

Everyone was filled with hope, knowing that Gabby was okay for now. Casey had to admit, he was very shocked she was given a green light in the first place, given his track record with Chicago Med. Normally people are dead, severely injured, or stuck underneath the building. He was almost afraid to get happy about Gabby being okay. Happy that she pulled through. Over the past few years, he has learned not to expect anything. Don't expect a happy ending, because 9 times out of 10 it won't turn out the way you thought it would. He has been afraid to be happy, ever since the warehouse accident. Things had happened before but that was the last straw.

*****

After the flames reduced from the sudden explosion, Casey sprung up immediately, fully aware of the flames surrounding him both above and around. His ears were ringing and his mind was fuzzy, but he knew he had to do one thing. Find Gabby. He carefully moved pieces of rubble out of his path. His heart pounding, and his breathing now at a rapid pace, Casey got to the spot where he last saw Gabby. He could hear the alarms on the fire jackets beeping all around him but the only thing he could focus on was his fiancé, the love of his life. "Gabby," he tried to yell, but only managed to croak due to his throat now dry from the dust and smoke.

"Gabby" he said louder. He heard no response. He began to throw the pieces of ceiling from the pile and off to somewhere else, frantically searching for her. He could hear Severide in the background, calling out for Casey. Casey turned for a split second, realizing he needed an extra hand to lift the heavy objects. If he could find Severide, he could get his help. He called out for Severide, getting a response almost immediately.

"Over here" Severide called out. "Help me, its Herrmann," he said. Casey knew Gabby was in trouble, but he couldn't just let Herrmann lay there stuck, right in front of him. He and Severide both pulled Herrmann out from the rubble, freeing him. He was okay and awake, nothing major besides a few cuts and scratches here and there. "Severide, I need your help, its Gabby", Casey said. "Where is she," he replied. Casey led him to where she was around the corner, only to find Mills and Capp already trying to lift the rubble. They ran over, and once they were all there, they were able to find Gabby rather quickly.

She was unconscious, lying on her stomach from when she had launched at Mills to push him out of the way. There was blood, and for a moment she looked dead, until she moved. Mills immediately flipped her over, careful not to hurt her neck or back in case of further internal injuries. He began to exam her, noticing her gaining consciousness by the moment. She opened her eyes, inhaling deeply and erratically. She moaned and yelled out, clenching her jaw shut, obviously in pain.

"My arm," she croaked. Casey moved to her side, seeing the there was a slab of concrete on top of her arm. He tried lifting it, but the weight seemed to be too much for one person. Severide came over to help. "This is going to hurt Gabs," Casey began, "I'm so sorry, but it's going to hurt a lot." On the count of three he and Severide lifted the slab off of her arm and off to the side. Gabby screamed in pain, her face now covered with tears along with the blood and dust. The flames were increasing, and they were running out of time. Severide could no longer hear alarms, forgetting momentarily about the other men. The others were pulling each other out, canvasing the area, making sure no one was left behind.

Severide knew it was time to take action, not wanting any fatalities that day. "Alright listen up," he began. "We need to get out of here. Take a second to make sure we have everyone and move out. NOW!" He, Mills and Casey were carefully carrying Dawson, using a piece of rubble as a stable gurney. One by one everyone began to travel down to the first floor, lowering themselves below.

******

Gabby distancing herself from him and leaving what they had was the last straw. He was tired of feeling the worst out of the best. He just needed one thing to be happy again, and that one thing didn't want him. The doctor came in shortly after and told them that Dawson could now have visitors. Antonio went first, sitting by his sister's side. Shay went in with him, disobeying the "one visitor for now" rule. She didn't care and she knew Gabby wouldn't either. What can you say, she was her best friend.

When she first walked in, she honestly thought she was dead. She looked like hell; her face was pale, dark circles beneath her eyes, and her hair looked like a rats nest. If she hadn't already been told that she was alive, there was no way she would believe it. "hey there killer," Antonio said. "you look like hell."

Gabby smirked, obviously in too much pain to be laughing. "I could say the same thing about you", she replied. "Well it looks like your sense of humor is still intact," Shay began "thank god for that." It was a light joke but it definitely had a hidden meaning. It was Shays way of saying "thank god you're alive now it better not happen again." If gabby hadn't known her any better she wouldn't have known that. But she did, and she thanked god every day for that opportunity.