Chapter 53: Move On

This person watched Anthanasia fall into Lucas' embrace and cry her heart out. The person swept their fingers through their white hair, and a certain kind of pain laid in their pools of golden eyes.

A sigh escaped their lips as they watched the two silently.

The world around them seemed to scream. "Ijekiel, you never had a chance"

Without another word, Ijekiel turned around and walked away. Away from the lush green garden. Away from the ruby palace. Away from Lucas and Anthanasia who were having their special moment.

Ijekiel's heart felt heavy. It was painful to accept, but he had to. He had no chance with Anthanasia anymore. It was obvious there was a deep connection between her and Lucas....

'The princess seems to like him a lot'

Thinking about this, made his chest sting. Suddenly, he felt like he couldn't walk anymore. He stopped walking in front of the ruby palace. He took a moment to observe his surroundings.

Everything around him was so peaceful. Quite unlike the turmoil in his head. Ijekiel was sure that one of the most painful things was rejection. It pained him even more that the princess didn't even need to reject him directly. Reality was as clear as day.

His head felt cloudy. He couldn't think straight as he wandered around the palace grounds.

Why was he being so sensitive? He had always known within him. So why did he suddenly acknowledge the truth? Was it because, just this morning he found out that his father was suffering from a chronic disease? That he was no longer able to work efficiently?

Was it because this morning he had thought about his life all over? And he had realized that he could never regain all the time that was lost.

Is it because his father had cried in his arms a few days ago? A sudden wave if realization began to absorb every part of his thoughts.

Why was today like this? Ijekiel felt the need to run. Run to somewhere secret. He told himself that he was being too dramatic about the whole situation. But.... he couldn't help it. It was one of those days.

Before he knew it, he found himself in the Emerald Palace. He acknowledged the guards who greeted him cheerfully with a mere nod. He continued wandering in the Emerald Palace.

Ijekiel had heard Jennette and Anastacius' conversation, and Lucas and Anthanasia's conversations. Change was constantly taking place around him.

He didn't want to be like his father who seemed to be buried deep in the past.
Tormented by his history and decisions. He didn't want to fall apart like the Duke.
It was today that Ijekiel finally decided; he had to move on.

Move on, from his feelings for Anthanasia. Move on, from all his indecisiveness. Move on, from all the fears he harbored in his mind.

Duke Alpheus was in no position to handle the Duchy's affairs. The activities of the family had been a bit terrible for the past few weeks.

He was no longer a kid. He had reached adulthood. It was time he moved on from his thoughts of 'I can't be the Duke' and any other similar thoughts.

Resolve and determination brimmed within him. From today onward, Ijekiel would completely handle all his family affairs. He'd become the Duke — Duke Ijekiel Alpheus, who didn't hold any trivial feelings. A Duke who was always serious in what he did.

And so, all alone, Ijekiel made a huge decision. He chose to move forward in life, despite how painful it felt to let go of some certain things.

>>>>>>>>