32

Dominic.

In my mind, I was right behind Jade—had followed her out that door, pulled her into my arms, and apologized but in reality, I'm caught between glares, stares, and tears of joy. I hadn't missed the serious look on Lance's face the moment those words slipped and even without his wolf I can feel the protective wolf male wanting to tear into me. To make it worse, the same radiation of 'not so happy' is rolling off of my beta and reflecting through fierce blue eyes. I have no clue if they're mad at the fact that I got Jade pregnant or if their anger is based on her being upset. Either way, this is something I nor my edgy wolf really don't care to deal with right now. I need to get to my mate and beg her to forgive me.

Although she never went into detail, I saw the need to have our pup remain a secret for a while and instantly understood it. People have been judging my mate and putting so much on her shoulders since all of this started. She's a wolf—much stronger than any human but, the stress of all this can't be good for her or our pup. I want so badly to just lock her in a padded room to keep her safe from angry jealous mates, annoying mothers, and prick Alphas but my stubborn she-wolf would never go for that. Realizing that and remembering that we also have guests in the room I palm my face over the royal fuck up.

"Is she really pregnant?" Kayla's voice, ever-so soft and motivated by tears broke through the tension easily. Not wanting to say any more than I already had, I simply took a step toward her and nodded slowly. I watched as more tears lined her lower lashes then fell down her face, each with the increase of a smile. Just as quickly as it started she raised her hand and swatted each tear blazing a path down her face and chuckled. "Sorry. My wolf is just really happy. Jade gives us hope that life does really go on after losing your mate."

Those words hit me hard and for more than one reason. I can identify with Kayla having lost a mate of my own. I know that pain and the feeling that it will only end when you finally get the nerve to kill yourself. That was my fate, I was sure of it for as long as I sat inside my house mourning my loss and strolled the beach with a bottle in my hand reliving that moment I saw Alice laying in that field. I never saw myself here, in this position with a new mate, and a pup on the way. In my mind that was a pipe dream, something that would never ever happen...but it has. I have so much more than I ever expected I would and I stand to lose that if I let Jade go anywhere near Cameron. I need her to understand that. The death of Alice was hard all on its own and now that I have a second chance, I'm not risking anything! Losing Jade and also my pup in the process will surely be the end for me. I need her to see that.

Pulling myself out of my own thoughts and my past, I pulled Kayla into a tight hug and kissed the top of her head. I wish for her to have everything I have and more. The Goddess permitting, I'll see to it myself. By this point Jade's mother had made her way into the room, looking around confused and wondering what the previous noise was about.

"My daughter is pregnant and two of you decided it was best to keep it from me?" Lance spoke slow and calm but I could tell he was anything but. I don't blame him. If I had a daughter, no matter how old she was I'd probably still want to murder the wolf that even thought about kissing her.

"Jade's pregnant?" Char repeated with wide eyes, walking passed her mate and toward me. I let go of Kayla and faced my future mother-in-law with a straight back and answered with a simple head nod once again. Without hesitation, her arms flew around me and she was up on her toes pressing quick kisses into my cheek.

"Char!"

"What? I'm happy! My baby is having a baby!"

"Exactly, she's still a baby!" Lance was more than pissed now. Again I don't blame him. If he only knew all the things that...maybe I shouldn't be thinking that right now. Biting down on my lower lip I fight back the smile that's trying to reveal itself over that last thought. I'm not surprised at all my mate's pregnant already. I'm actually shocked it didn't happen sooner.