27

"What do you mean you can't feel your wolf Dad?" Jaxon was practically shouting, gripping my father by his shoulders and he climbed to his feet.

"I can't connect with him." Dad huffed out through ragged breaths that forced his chest to heave. "My head hurts—it's like that part of my mind is being held back. I can't hear him and it feels like—" he paused looking my way with sad eyes, "I'm so sorry Sweetie! I showered you with love and tried to shelter you thinking it would make up for you not having your wolf but I see now that nothing can replace this emptiness."

My heart skipped a full beat then completely stopped. Revisited by those memories of being a girl without a wolf, The Wolf That Isn't, came rushing back to me like a twenty-foot wave washing ashore pulling me into the dark depths of my mind. Those days were the hardest with all the pretending and trying to appear unaffected when deep down all I wanted to do was die. I wouldn't wish that on anyone and the fact that my Dad is experiencing it hurts like hell.

Pushing those revived emotions to the back of my mind I tried mulling over how and why this could have happened. Looking around at the fallen guards and Mackenzie I quickly tied them into this as well. They were all still on the ground breathing just as hard as my father with their hands on their heads. Whatever has caused this has to be something that links them all together, but what? I didn't touch them so I couldn't have stripped them. My hand hadn't even made contact with Mackenzie's skin before she and the guard holding her collapsed. That small voice that usually shouts 'I told you so' was sounding off inside my head like an alarm. Not saying those words but that I was right in feeling like something bad was coming.

"Lance!" My mother's strained voice ripped through the opened front door slicing through the cool air. My father still weakened and breathing like he'd run a marathon pushed away from us staggering toward the stairs. Jaxon pulled off his shirt giving it to Kayla to cover herself before he followed behind my Dad keeping close contact in case he fell again. Dominic repeated that action, giving Mackenzie the shirt off his back as he helped her up and proceeded to check on the guards. Not knowing what else to do, not being able to make sense of any of this I followed behind my mate examining the guards.

"Mom has lost contact with her wolf too!" Jaxon came running from the house with a look of pure horror riddled within his eyes.

"What the hell is going on? They were just standing there then all of a sudden they lost their wolves. How is that possible?" Kayal mirrored his expression looking to me for answers I honestly didn't have.

"Maybe it's something in the air...?" Jaxon added but didn't seem so sure about his own assumption.

"That can't be it. We're breathing the same air yet I still feel my wolf and can sense all of yours." Dominic helped the last guard up and motioned for him to go inside as he had with Mackenzie and the others. He's right. I can still feel my wolf and sense that of my beta and twin yet she's clueless as to what's going on. "Let's not panic just yet. We'll go inside and call Hemming to see if he can come by and check everyone out and maybe shed some light on what could be happening."

Kayla and Jaxon nodded in unison. My brother wrapped his arm around her waist pulling her into his side as he led the way to the house. In any other situation, I would have smiled but I can't bring myself to do so at the moment. Dominic caught my hand the second I turned to follow behind them, gave it a little squeeze, and pulled me into his chest. Engulfed by the warmth of his bare skin against my face and his strong arms around me, I had no choice but to sigh contentedly. His presence alone provides me with comfort and his scent eases my mind. I can hear his wolf doing the exact same thing, calming mine and reassuring her.

"Something tells me you needed this hug." He mumbled kissing the top of my head.

"I did. Thank you."