Chapter 26

Vera

The pounding in my head is enough to pull me from my sleep, sending me into a spiral of regret.

Who let me drink that much?

Thinking back on it I didn't even have that many shots. I didn't end up eating anything before so I think it hit me harder than it should have. Thank God for that though because I wouldn't have had the courage to go up to that guy.

When Grace initially mentioned that a guy from the bar had been looking over at me I didn't really think much of it. It wasn't like I'd ever see him again. But when she suggested I actually go up to him I was hesitant. Ethan and I only broke up three days ago. The thought of being with someone else hadn't even crossed my mind.

The more I thought about it though the more I saw where Grace was coming from. She wanted me to get my mind off Ethan. She definitely knew I wouldn't end up going home with him or anything but dancing with him could serve as a distraction.

In the end, I decided to go for it, if only for the sake of putting myself out there. I would've never done something like this before Ethan and especially not while I was with him. It couldn't hurt to see where it went.

Swallowing the shot without any Sprite, I back away from the table.

"Wish me luck," I say before turning and walking away from them.

Walking toward the bar, I try to steel my nerves. The worst that happens is I read the situation wrong and he rejects me. In the best-case scenario, I dance with him and call it a night.

I spot him where he was earlier, at the edge of the bar, drink in his hand. His gaze lands on me when he sees me approaching, eyes slightly widening. A smirk appears on his face when I finally reach him.

"Hi," I say, taking in his features. He has light brown hair that looks almost sandy depending on the way the light hits him. His blue eyes bore into me as I look over his face, finding a bit of stubble littering the lower half of it.

"Hey there," he says, eyes taking a moment to scan the length of my body.

"This might be forward, but would you want to go dance?" I ask, getting straight to the point.

I'm prepared to head back to the table when he opens his mouth to respond. "Sure," he says, surprising me.

"That was easy," I mumble, not meaning to say it out loud.

He chuckles, "How could I say no to a girl in a dress like that?" he asks. I send him a small smile and before I know it he's setting his drink down on the bar and grabbing my hand.

The man whose name I don't know pulls me out to the dance floor, finding a good spot to stop. The music slows down right at this moment, making it a more difficult song to dance to. When he turns to face me, I lift my arms, figuring I should put them somewhere. I rest my hands on his shoulders, starting to move with him to the music.

It's different from when I danced with Zayn earlier. That was more upbeat and ended with my feet kind of hurt. I doubt that'll happen after this.

I feel the skin on mine and look to find one of his hands resting on my outstretched arm, the other sneaking down to rest on my hip. I haven't had anyone touch me other than Ethan in so long. It's not even that dramatic of a hand placement but it still throws me for a loop.

I freeze when he takes it further, using both of his hands to pull my hips into him. My arms extend around him, ending up wrapped around his neck. I swallow at the close contact, not knowing how to react.