42

A few days later, the Lorbs surprised the group with a visit to their hut. "Frienfloofers, Pascal and Finskloopenhogun, we would like to invite you to join us for a dance party tonight." Alfons said when Varian opened the door.

"A party?" Lance poked his head out of his room. "I love parties!"

"Uh...sure. We'll be there." Varian said, raising an eyebrow at the Lorbs. He was pretty sure they didn't like them, Pascal aside, so what was the angle here?

"Good! We will be waiting!" Alfons said, before they all left.

Varian closed the door again and then looked back at them. "...I think I need to reinforce that fence."

"They're very determined little guys who hop real high." Eugene chuckled, stepping out of his room. "So, we're going to a party tonight! Fun!"

"Sure, as long as we don't have to serve the food." Cassandra rolled her eyes as she left her own room.

Rapunzel, Hugo and Donella all came out of their rooms. "Come on, Cassandra, that's all in the past. Let's all go and have a great time!"

"I suggest we test the food for suspicious substances." Hugo said, walking over and wrap an arm around Varian's waist and kiss his cheek. "Morning, babe."

Varian smiled shyly and then stole a quick kiss on the lips before slipping out of his hold and going outside, Hugo quickly following him.

"See?" Eugene chuckled. "They didn't need your help. Let them go at their pace and now they're unbearable."

"Mmm, well, I have firmly instructed Hugo to keep all activities to outside the clothing." Donella said, walking over to start preparing breakfast while the others made flustered, choked noises. "They may be young, but Hugo is rather eager to teach Varian all about the ways of the adult world."

"Donella, please." Eugene said with a pained expression. "Don't make me worry about him ruining poor Varian's innocence!"

"Innocence? What innocence?" Cassandra smirked. "He's the one going for the lips all the time."

"Speaking of which, we better go check on them." Eugene headed outside.

Cassandra sighed heavily. "We need to get off this island, we're resorting to being entertained by a teenage romance. We're gonna have to find a new caravan, too."

"We'r elucky we were able to salvage our things." Rapunzel nodded, sighing a bit. "And what's wrong with enjoying Varian's romantic moments?"

"Watching him and the thief kid is about as enjoyable to me as watching you and Fitzherbert mack lips." Cassandra assured her, then headed outside.

Rapunzel sighed." She just hasn't had a positive romantic experience." She looked at Donella. "Her one time experiencing love was with, well, Andrew. And he was just using her! I mean, she was using him, too, but..."

Donella shrugged. "Then, was it actually love?"

"What about you?" Rapunzel asked. "Have you ever been in love?"

Donella sighed, looking at the ceiling. "Once."

"What happened?" Lance asked.

"She got married and had Varian." Donella smiled sadly and then focused on her cooking.

"...Oh." Rapunzel breathed. "Oh, Donella...then, when you had to...it must've been so painful..."

"I lost my best friend and the only person I've ever loved that day." Donella said softly. "Don't...don't tell Varian, I don't know how he'd take it."