48

The next morning, they went out of town in their caravan and met up with Hookhand's. "Okay, so, what are we going to do if his caravan gets attacked looking for ours?" Eugene asked as they approached it.

"Take care of the problem." Varian said calmly. "In fact, I'm counting on him to draw the attention of the attackers."

"We can catch them off-guard when they go for the wrong caravan." Donella  smiled.

"What if they attack ours?" Hugo asked. "I mean, they're looking for Princess Rapunzel, right? So, does his caravan look like something she would use?"

"...Well, no, but they've just been attacking every caravan that seems like it might have someone rich inside." Varian shrugged. "And his caravan is so big and fancy, how could they resist?"

"I hope Hookhand will be okay." Rapunzel said worriedly.

"He'll be fine." Eugene assured her.

Lance looked out the window. "...Hey, if we don't want to be targeted, maybe we shouldn't have Cassandra driving right now?"

"...We'll be okay." Rapunzel nodded.

To their surprise, they were okay. The trip went smoothly, with no attacks, and they stopped at a cliff-side venue dressed up all fancy.

"Did he say who his patron was?" Eugene asked as they stopped their caravans and gotout.

"No. But, it's unnerving that we didn't get attacked." Varian frowned.

Hookhand walked out and approached a figure standing by a table. He bowed down and the man he bowed to, who wasin fancy clothes, pulled out a pocketwatch. "You are three minutes late, you impunctual, lumpy-faced melody pirate!"

"Oh...him." Eugene said winced a cringe.

"Who is that?" Varianasked.

"That...is the King of Equis," Eugene explained, "King Trevor."

"Everything must beperfect for Trevor Jr.'s destination wedding." King Trevor said tenderly, then turned back to the man bowing before him. "EVERYTHING!"

"The man that pranked King Frederic?" Varian asked, looking at him with interest. "I heard you got back at him by—"

"YOU!" King Trevor noticed them and stormed over to them. "I recognizeyou!" He pointed a finger at Eugene. "You're still wanted in Equis, you know!"

Eugene grinned and did a finger-gun and clicked his tongue.

"Whoa, hey!" Rapunzel moved between them. "I think, considering the circumstances, you can let his theft go as a petty prank. I mean, you sent your men in to paint my father's statue!"

"Ah, yes, impossibly long, golden locks and a green shoulder slug. You must be Princess Rapunzel." King Trevor said, looking unimpressed.

"You don't know a chameleon when you see one?" Varian smirked. "Hmm, intelligence isn't checking out."

Eugene laughed a bit. "You know, he—he said the same thing about me when I mistook the chameleon for a frog!"

King Trevor looked at Varian. "...And you are..."

"This is my little brother, Varian." Rapunzel smiled.

King Trevor raised an eyebrow. "'Brother'? I was under the impression 'Varian' was a girl! Did he not join you for the Contest of the Crowns?"

"I did." Varian shrugged. "I'm her only sibling."

"Yes...her 'eyes and ears', her 'shadow'. I've heard much of you." King Trevor cleared his throat. "Fear not, Princess Rapunzel, I will spare your felonious boyfriend the noose," He sighed dreamily, "for it was his thievery what led Trevor Jr. into the flippers his true love, Lucille." He gestured to where two seals were nuzzling each over by the table.