56

Cassandra had been avoiding them since The House of Yesterday's Tomorrow. She had been eating with the Saporians and laying her head on Juniper's shoulder while talking quietly, but when she was with Rapunzel's group, she avoided looking at Varian and Rapunzel.

Donella sighed and got up from her seat, climbing up onto the top of the caravan and using wind magic to fly herself up to the balloon.

"Donella." Andrew greeted. "What brings you up here?"

"What's wrong with Cassandra?" Donella asked, nodding to the woman sitting with Juniper.

Andrew looked at his sister. "I think it's time she talked to them, Juni."

Juniper looked at Cassandra. "Cass? You feel ready?"

Cassandra looked up at her. "What if...what if they reject me once they find out?"

"Oh, Cass..." Juniper sighed and rubbed her head, resting it on her shoulder again. "I'm sure they won't reject you.  Come on, I'll be with you the whole time. I'll even hold your hand for it."

Cassandra sighed, then nodded. Andrew looked at Donella. "Tell them we're landing."

Donella nodded and cast another wind spell to carrying herself back down. She landed and then walked over to the driver. "Stop the caravan. Cassandra's ready to talk."

"Wait, really?" Rapunzel looked up at her, then nodded and gripped the reins. "Stop, Max, Fidella! We're taking a break!"

They parked the caravan at the side of the road and the hot-air balloon landed next to them. They all got out and met up together.

"So...is everything okay?" Rapunzel asked. "Are...we okay?"

Varian clutched at Hugo's hand, his brow furrowing.

"Cass?" Eugene prompted gently.

Lance looked at her with concern as her silence stretched on. "...Is this about what happened at the creepy demon place?"

Cassandra clutched at her arms, then looked to the side as Lucas came over to them with a concerned expression. "Wow...the gang's all here." She said jokingly.

"What's going on? Everything okay?" Lucas asked.

"Cassandra said she's ready to talk about what she witnessed back in the House of Yesterday's Tomorrow, apparently." Hugo told him.

"Take your time." Donella said gently.

Juniper gently took Cassandra's hand and squeezed it. "You're not going to be rejected, Cass. Trust them."

Cassandra squeezed her hand, then took a deep breath. "I...I saw a vision of...when I was orphaned."

"Oh, Cass..." Rapunzel breathed.

"Turns out...I wasn't actually an orphan until you guys left the tower." Cassandra looked at them with a pained smile. "My...mother...was Gothel. She...she abandoned me when the Royal Guard came after her...when she took you, Rapunzel." She hung her head. "Finding that out...that I was...born from that monster...thathorrible woman that captured you two and...forced you to stay with her for selfish, vain reasons...that threatened Varian's village...and robbed you of years of your life with the King and Queen...I...I felt soguilty. So...so sick. If only I hadn't called out to her...maybe the Royal Guard would've stopped her before she cut the bridge and fled."

"Oh, shit..." Lucas breathed.

"Oh, Cass..." Rapunzel walked towards her. "You...You thought I'd be upset with you for that?"