𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓 - The Beginning Of No Return

[Y/N]- Your Name

[F/A]- Favorite Animal

[F/C]- Favorite Color (You can have more than one favorite.)

[B/C]- Body Coverings (Fur, scales, etc.)

***

The night before.

          It was an hour after the moon rose, and it would take a good while before midnight as Tom's silver Toyota truck pulled into the driveway, the rubber wheels trudging over the loose gravel. The headlights shone through the darkness across the entryway, and garbage bins were lined up against the wall, sitting below the window sills. Just as Tom was about to park, he considered it to be too anticipated that he would encounter raccoons rummaging through the bins untidily, which was their accustomed route to finding food. Tom uttered an agitated sigh at the animals and honked his horn, attempting to grab their attention. But the raccoons remained unfazed at even the intense lights.

          Tom exited the truck and flung the door shut, "Uh-uh! Hey! No, no, get out of there-!" He gripped his wrists, exasperated. "Oh, come on! Get out of there!" He raised his voice a little more rough.

          "Get out of there, you trash pandas."

          As soon as the raccoons had finally beaten a hasty retreat, Tom groaned in relief and opened the door to his house, entering inside. He called out to his wife, "Maddie, as Green Hills' most respected veterinarian, what is the fastest way to exterminate a raccoon?" He set his work bag up, only for his golden retriever, Ozzy, to walk up to him with a wagging tail as a greeting.

          "Hi, Ozzy! Hello! You're glad to see me!" He said as he fondled Ozzy lovingly.

          While Tom was crouched beside the dog, the hushed sound of weightless footsteps which he automatically recognized stepped right in front of the two. It was followed by paper slapping against a hand, thus Tom's attention quickly got captured. Maddie stood from across with a smile as bright as a sudden beam of sunlight. Tom swiftly stood up and pointed at the envelope.

          "What's that?" There was a pause, which led to eagerness. "Is that what I think it is?"

          "Uh-huh. Open it." Maddie smiled.

          Without hesitation, Tom walked over to Maddie with his mouth gaping wide, like he was mindlessly conquered by his own excitement. After taking the envelope from Maddie, sudden reluctance soon took over. He inspected it, flipping it from the front and the back. "Oh, it's... kind of small. Is that bad?" He began, but Maddie once more interrupted him.

          "Just... open it."

          Then at once, Tom did so as he eagerly made his way to the kitchen counter, and Maddie quickly followed from behind. They both stood at opposite ends of the counter, with Tom facing Maddie and Maddie facing Tom. He relaxed his muscles with a deep breath and decided to just read what it needed to say.

         "Dear Thomas, we have reviewed your application to the San Francisco Police Department, and pending interdepartmental review and background check..." He read as his voice only rose higher and faster with growing enthusiasm, and Maddie couldn't help but express with a squeal at his hype. "We are happy to inform you that you have been selected to join our team!"

          Maddie was now completely ecstatic, and her eyes flashed as she had suddenly gotten the giggles by the bubbling excitement heightening in both of their hearts. She sprung and looked as if was about to frolic around the ordinary kitchen. Just as though she lacked consciousness, however, she was only enjoying the moment.