11

Days later, after Crash had recovered, the clone force plus Vire as their prisoner hung around the deserted city, unsure what move to make next. Currently, Kael, whose arm had not healed quite yet, was watching Vire as she paced the room. Mako and Crash had gone with Calso to look at something intriguing Crash had discovered. Kael, being the youngest and most inexperienced had been stuck with guard duty. Pacing the room hurriedly, Vire, who still had her hands bound but was not bound to the bench where she normally stayed, muttered to herself. Kael watched. He was sitting with his back to the duracrete wall and involved in tinkering with the amplifier he had attempted to assemble days ago. He still had no sufficient power source but was able to busy himself with fixing the main coupling. Around and around Vire walked, talking to herself and acting like Kael didn't exist.

"I have to devise a way out," Vire muttered. Her voice just above a whisper.

Without looking up, Kael said, "I can hear you."

Vire cursed silently and stopped talking for a moment. Blast those clones, she thought to herself.
Vire looked over at Kael, who was completely involved in his work.

He's not paying any attention to me, but I get the feeling that if I run or make a move to escape he's going to blast me.

Kael suddenly muttered, "Blast!" and jerked his hand away from the sparking coupling dropping the hydro spanner. Vire watched him reach for it again and settle back. She knew that the security system wasn't on because Kael was guarding her, so she noted everything about him that she could. He was sitting facing her, so he had the best view of her. He had the amplifier propped up on his leg, and his right arm was still cradled in the sling Calso had devised two days ago. Attentively, he was working on the amplifier with his left hand, and his helmet lay beside him. The black DC-15 blaster Kael usually carried was sitting next to the rookie on the floor about four inches away from his left leg.

Prepared to stun me if I make one wrong move.

She resumed her pacing.

"You can't escape," Kael called from where he was sitting. Vire ignored him. The amplifier suddenly let out an ear piercing screech and sparked violently. Kael dropped it along with the hydro spanner this time. It lay smoking on the ground about ten inches from his right arm. Growling with frustration, he got up to grab it. Vire seized the moment of vulnerability and flung herself at Kael's blaster just as he realized what she was doing. Kael jerked back and forgot the amplifier for a moment. Seeing that the clone was no longer distracted, Vire began worrying about a fight. True, she had the weapon, but he was faster and stronger.

I'd rather not risk it.

She spun around and aimed at Kael, firing randomly before fleeing the room.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Vire! She's escaping!

Those were the first thoughts that entered Kael's mind as he saw the woman lunge for his blaster. Reacting as fast as his body and mind would allow, he sprang to his feet intending to knock her away from the weapon. Instead, he met a blaster bolt head on and staggered back a few inches. Dazed, Kael was unsure whether the bolt had penetrated his armor or not.

I will not let that scum get away.

Decidedly he tried to follow her, but he needed to know his injuries first. Looking down, he realized why he couldn't feel any pain. Her shot had only gone through his right hand, which was mostly numb, along with the rest of his right arm.

At least, I won't bleed to death, I think.

Partially reassured that the damage was minor, he leaned his head back against the wall. Trained to ignore minor injuries, Kael knew he could chase after Vire, but Kael already knew it was a lost cause.