3- Lights Out

Paintbrush balances their lead pencil on their nose, holding the top with one finger. They're not really listening to what the teacher's saying, it's been about a month and all they'd taken away from the class was a few tips on contrast and shading in acrylic paints.

Professor Easel asked for everyone's attention, mentioning that there was only about five minutes until they were all dismissed. Paintbrush stopped what they were doing, opening up their notebook to document whatever he was about to say. It had to be important; why else would he explicitly ask for full attention?

"Alright class, it is time for your first assignment task of the semester," Professor Easel turned toward the chalkboard with a short piece of chalk in his hand, fingertips dusted with the residue chalk.

"You will compose an art piece of a landscape. Canvases will be provided by me; you can take one as you're leaving the classroom. The criterion for this task is extremely simple. You will draw a landscape that must include tall mountainous terrain and deep valleys, which will showcase contrast which you have been learning for the past couple of weeks."

"Failure to provide this in your art piece will result in a potential failure. This piece is worth 20 percent of your grade for this semester, and you have two weeks to work on it. That is the end of this lesson. Keep all that I have said in mind and take a canvas on your way out. You are dismissed."

Paintbrush slung their backpack over their shoulder and grabbed a canvas whilst walking out of the room. It wasn't a very large one; Paintbrush could fit it into their bag without any struggle, but it was still big enough that they wouldn't have to vie for space while working on their landscape.

They consider calling or messaging Marshmallow to talk about their assignment but remember how her class doesn't end for another half hour. I wonder if Marsh also got a task set, Paintbrush thinks, the canvas in their backpack clattering against all their art supplies.

While walking, they notice a familiar head. They can't really place it at first, then they realise where they'd seen this person before; it was a friend of theirs from high school, OJ.

"Hey! OJ!" They called out, causing OJ to turn his head. His face split into a smile when they saw Paintbrush, and they stopped to let Paintbrush catch up to him. "How are you?" Paintbrush said, walking in rhythm with OJ.

"I'm alright," OJ said, flicking a quarter that they held up into the air and catching it with their hand. OJ never seemed to be without at least some form of money; whether it be a large sum or something small like a dime or quarter, he always had some form of wealth on him. "I got a dorm with Paper, so I'm feeling pretty good as of late."

OJ had been dating Paper since junior year of high school; before that it was relentless pining that their friends (including Paintbrush) had to endure before they finally got the balls to ask each other out. Now they were near inseparable, as if they weren't before.

"Oh yeah? I'm rooming with three kids from different schools. They're honestly alright, all things considered," Paintbrush said with a slight shrug.

OJ hummed. "It's me, Paper, Salt and Pepper," he said, pocketing his quarter as they started climbing the stairs to the second storey of the school, where all the dorms were. Paintbrush remembers climbing these stairs for the first time, how filled with worry they were; now they can't imagine being afraid to head to their dormitory.

...Except for the couple of days after Test Tube brought in a laser gun and started tweaking it, but Paintbrush feels like that's justified. Where did she even get that? Who let her make a laser gun?

"I'm just coming back from class, Visual Arts. Just got my first assignment," Paintbrush said, swinging their bag in front of them and digging through it, fumbling with the zip until they got it open and showcased the canvas that they brought from class.