Chapter 3-Adler

May 9, 2022

May 9, 2022

The ranch sits on 95 acres of land. There are a few barns on the property and a stable with 9 stalls a half mile or so from the house, plus the house of course. James raises cattle on the land of the ranch. He said the ranch has been in his family for generations and was passed down to him by his far. Whenever he mentions his parents his expression looks pained. I don't want to pry into that story, so I have just avoided it. He owns 3 dogs to help with cattle, 5 horses, Whiskey being the main one he works with, the others are more just for trail riding, and he has 3 barn cats to control the mice.

The tour lasted about 2 hours. When we got back to the house James connected my phone to his Wifi so I could text my parents and let them know about my situation. James is currently taking a shower and I'm waiting for him in the living room so that we can head into town for dinner and to grab my stuff.

The sound of footsteps coming down the stairs draws me from my thoughts and I turn around to see James. He is a fresh grey shirt and jeans, his hair still damp from the shower and some strands hanging in front of his eyes. It's a good look for him, if I say so myself.

He brushes the strands back and grabs his keys, "Ready to go?"

I stand, "yup," and follow him out to his truck and jump into the passenger seat. As soon as the car starts Johnny Cash blares through the radio. I cringe. He quickly turns it down.

"Sorry, sorry. Forgot how loud it was," he says apologetically. I look at him seriously.

"It wasn't the volume that was the issue. It was the genre of music," I close my eyes and shake my head, still trying to recover from the experience. When I open my eyes he is still looking at me, but I can see he is trying to stop from laughing. "Do you have an aux or Bluetooth or something I ask?"

He shakes his head before grabbing a white cord and handing it to me. "Thank you," I say cheerily as I accept it and hook my phone up. He pulls away from the house just as I pick a playlist to listen to. Afterglow by Taylor Swift plays quietly from the radio, so I reach up to turn it up at the same time as he does. Our fingers brush each other's and sparks are sent through my entire body at the contact. He must feel it too because he pulls his hand back quickly. I turn up the radio and lean back in my seat, ignoring the heat spreading across my face.

The drive into town is silent, except for my music playing through the car. Neither James or I say anything, we just sit and enjoy each other's company. I like that neither of us feel the need to fill the silence, we can simply just be next to each other and that is enough for both of us.

 I like that neither of us feel the need to fill the silence, we can simply just be next to each other and that is enough for both of us

As we pull into the town I am pleasantly surprised. It is small, quaint even, but very beautiful. It's like Stars Hollow but make it Montanan. Cute little storefront shops are everywhere, and families stroll leisurely on the sidewalk.

When we pull up to the mechanic's shop, there is only one car parked out front. James gets out first and I follow behind him. He holds the door open and allows me to work in before him. I smile and thank him as a step through the door. I immediately spot my jeep and walk over towards it. A tall, blonde man walks over toward me.

"You must be Aloura," he says with a polite smile as he holds out his hand. I shake his hand quickly before pulling back. "Yup, that's me. And you are..."

"Julian," he supplies, "the mechanic and James's best friend," he says before reaching over to clap James on the back.

James shakes his head, "he likes to think so at least." Julian elbows him for that comment and they share a laugh before turning back to me.

"So, where are you staying until your car is fixed," Julian asks. I look from James and then back to Julian.

"James offered to let me stay at his place until you get my car up and running again." Shock covers Julian features as his gaze flicks over to James who just shrugs. He must see something I don't because he smirks at James before looking back to me.

"I bet he did," Julian says before saying goodbye and heading off to his office.

"What was that about," I ask James. He looks away before answering.

"Nothing," he looks back to me, "let's grab your stuff and head over to the diner for dinner. I'm starving." Okay, then. I guess I'm completely missing something even though it all just happened in front of me. I don't think too hard about it, because I'm also starving.

I get into the backseat and grab my suitcase. James takes it from me despite me repeatedly telling him I can carry it. He dismisses my words and heads back to the car.