Chapter 29-Dancing at Dusk

May 26, 2022

May 26, 2022

There is something peaceful about watching the setting sun while petting dogs with the mountains in the background.

Juniper, Zero, and Searchlight are resting on the porch after a long workday with James. He's in the shower right now. When he gets out we are going to watch a movie like we usually do, but for now the sun is keeping me entertained.

I hear footsteps behind me before James appears in my peripheral view. Taking a seat next to me. "You weren't inside," he states like I didn't know.

I nod, "figured I would hang with the dogs for a bit. Plus the sunset is pretty." I lay my head on his shoulder, watching the pinks mixing with the oranges in the sky.

He rests his head on top of mine, watching the sky with me. We sit like this long after the sun has gone down, just appreciating being next to each other.

Eventually James pulls out his phone, standing up and setting it down on the porch railing after he finds whatever he was looking for. He reaches his hand out and I take it.

"What are you doing?" I laugh as he pulls me up and into his arms.

"Dancing," he answers simply, pressing play on the music. As soon as it starts playing I know who it is.

I gasp, "is this Harry Styles?" He laughs nodding his head, as he places his arms on my waist. I wrap my hands around his neck, stepping in so our bodies are pressed against each other. "I didn't know that you knew Harry Styles," I whisper into his shirt.

"I didn't, but I took your advice and looked his music up. Same with Lizzo, Doja Cat, and Taylor Swift. When I was listening to his music I heard this song and immediately thought of us."

I pull back to look at him, the porch light barely illuminating him, but just enough to catch the signature sparkle in his eyes. The one that sparks a fire in my heart every time I see it.

"I love it," I whisper. He grins, grabbing one of my arms, pulling it from behind his neck, my other arm falling with it. He grabs my hand and spins me around in a circle, before pulling me back into him. We sway and spin around the porch, smiling and laughing the whole song.

Just before the song ends he spins me around and dips me in his arms, leaning down to kiss me. Slowly he pulls me back up, not breaking the kiss until I'm completely up straight with my arms wrapped around his neck again. We pull apart grinning, our foreheads resting together.

"Thank you," I whisper.

"For what?" For being so damn perfect.

"For being you."

But what I don't say: For giving me an amazing last 2 weeks. For taking my advice. For thinking of me. For finding our song. For making me fall in love with you.

Yup, the big L word. I am in love with this man. So hopelessly in love.

"Let's go watch a movie," he kisses my forehead before grabbing my hand and leading me inside, completely oblivious to my new realization.