Chapter 13-Sunday Dinner

May 15, 2022

May 15, 2022

"Ready to go," James asks from the driver seat. I look at the house in front of us. It's a little two floor house, at least from the outside, with pale blue siding, and cute little flowers lining the pathway to the front door.

"I think so," I say, opening my door and stepping out. James comes around the car, grabbing my hand and lacing our fingers together, before leading us to the door.

He doesn't knock, instead opening the door and walking in. "They're here," a gruff, older voice shouts. I move further into the house and see the source, an older man sits in a recliner, facing the tv.

"Hey, Grandpa," James walks over to the old man, who rises from his chair to face us. They hug, before the other man holds out his hand to me.

"Lucas," he says as I take his hand, having had to drop James's.

"Elle," I introduce. He smiles as I quickly lace James's fingers through mine.

"Hopefully, James has been treating you well," Lucas says, eyeing James, making him sigh and shake his head.

"Better than well actually. You raised a good man, sir," I smile up at James, who returns it with a smile and the sparkle in his eyes that I like so much, before returning my attention to Lucas who is taking us in, quietly.

"Elle, could you go join Darby in the kitchen please? I'd like to have a little one on one talk with James real quick," Lucas explains, eyes our hands again.

"Umm yeah sure," I stumble to get out, looking at James for an explanation, who just shrugs.

"It's that way," Lucas points through a doorway. I squeeze James's hand one last time before dropping it and heading to the kitchen.

"Hey, Darby," I greet the woman looking into the oven. She quickly whips her head up, running over to me and wrapping me in a tight hug.

"Elle, hunny, it's so nice to see you again! Oh sorry I might have gotten you a bit dirty. My apron has been through it today," she chuckles to herself.

I step back and brush myself off, "oh no worries. It's nothing that won't wipe off. So, do you need help with anything?"

"Oh no! You are a guest you don't have to help," she exclaims, pushing me into a chair. "How have you been, dear," she asks while shuffling around the kitchen.

"Amazing, actually. I think my car breaking down was the best thing to ever happen to me," I smile to myself, knowing in my soul that it's true. That statement makes Darby do a double take, staring at me for a moment, before smiling and continuing on. It appears Lucas and Darby see something that James and I don't because both of them have given me the same look and I've only been here a few minutes.

Me and Darby continue to make small talk as she finishes dinner and then sets up the table, which she actually allows me to help with. "Be a dear and go get the boys," Darby shoos me into the other room.

As I make my way to the living room I hear a hushed conversation. It seems serious but I can't hear it from my current place. I take a step further, a floorboard creaking under me, giving away my position. Shit!

I paste on a smile as I round the corner, both of their heads already looking in my direction. "Dinners ready," I smile before quickly turning and practically sprinting back to the dining room, avoiding the stupid tattle tail floorboard this time.

Me and James sit on one side of the table and Darby and Lucas sit on the other.

"So, you are working on the ranch in exchange for your room," Lucas asks. I go to answer but James interrupts me.

"Actually, Elle has been cooking dinner for us instead." I look at him, not sure when I agreed to that deal, but he seems unaware, as if it was an unspoken deal until this very moment.

"Yeah," I laugh, "I wasn't much help on the ranch if you can imagine that." Everyone joins in on the laughter.

"In fact, Elle cooks some of the best food I've ever tasted," he looks at his grandma, who puts her hand to her heart, mocking being hurt. "Plus her company isn't half bad," James says, smiling at me.

"Huh, you've always been more of a loner," Lucas drawls.

"Except for Julian," Darby interjects, "you two were always up to trouble," she shakes her head at the thought.

"Well, I'm trying new things," James says as an explanation. I wonder what these "new things" he keeps bringing up entails.

The rest of the conversation is light as we sip our wine and eat dinner.

While Darby serves us dessert, a delicious smelling peach cobbler, I feel a hand coke to rest on my knee, drawing my attention to James. He smiles over at me, warming my heart, before returning his attention to the conversation at hand, leaving his hand where it is.

After dinner, Darby and I make our way to the front porch while the guys clean up inside. "The meal was delicious, Darby. Thank you for inviting me," I say, pulling her into a hug.

"Oh don't mention it," she pulls back, looking me in the eye. "James seems different." What? Different how? I approach the subject with caution, worry eating away at me.

"In a bad way?" The look on my face must convey the depth of my worry because Darby rushes to answer.

"No, no, nothing bad. In fact, it's a great change," she sighs airily, "He seems happy and I think- no I know that you are the one making him happy," she says, leaving me speechless.

Before I can form a response, the boys come outside, laughing with each other. I try to shake off what Darby told me, but am not so successful at rejoining the conversation, that is, until James grabs my hand, pulling me out of my stupor. I smile up at him then turn towards his grandparents

"Thank you so much for inviting me," I hug Lucas and Darby.

"Anytime, dear," Darby says.

"We expect you to join us for Sunday dinner as long as you are in town," Lucas says sternly, leaving no room for argument.

I smile, "I would love too."

"Love you, JJ," Darby hugs James. I have got to ask him why she calls him that.

Lucas whispers something to James, who nods his head in response before we head to the car.

I was close enough this time to hear what was said between the two, 'remember what I told you.' Now what could that mean?