Chapter 11. Winds of Change

Winds of Change

Emrys took my hand, and we followed Rufus up to the second floor, taking the main staircase on the left side of the foyer. At the landing, I glanced over my shoulder to the other side just as Constance came out of the door. She nodded to me with a sweet smile and went down the stairs. It seemed ages ago, and yet it was only hours since she dressed me as Scarlett O'Hara.

We went down a long hallway, turned left, and stopped at an elevator. The surface of the gold door was polished smooth and shiny, like a mirror. Well, there's one myth that's wrong, I thought, observing our reflections. I glanced down as we stepped into the pocket-sized compartment, noting the deep red of the carpet. We were silent as the door slid shut. Closing us in like a coffin! The scent of blood became so blazing obvious I could almost taste its metallic flavor. I didn't mind the smell and wasn't usually upset by the sight of blood, but I knew that this particular scent was my best friend. Fiona's blood! Her actual life force drained out! I couldn't help but wonder if all that remained of her was what emanated from Rufus. My nerves had started to unravel and I couldn't stop tapping my foot as we huddled together. The crowded space made me claustrophobic.

Why is it taking so damn long to reach our floor? Real panic started creeping in, along with shallow, uneven breaths. Sensing the increasing level of my anxiety, Emrys wrapped his arm around me, pulling me close, trying to hide the look of concern on his face. I supposed that our very destiny rested entirely on my state of mind, and he aimed to keep me not only safe, but also sane.

He spoke up, breaking my erratic thoughts. "You may be curious how Rufus and I are related?"

In actuality, it had not crossed my mind and I realized at once his attempt to create a diversion.

"My father and his were brothers. Perhaps you also observed the similarity between Rufus and Larkin? They are half-brothers." He squeezed me closer and continued, "Think about it, sweet Elizabeth. Once we are married, you and your friend Fiona will be related as well!"

He succeeded. All I could think about now was how this chain of relationships could make my best friend of all time become my...what would she be? My cousin-in-law? I'd have to sit and write all the names down to figure it out, but I decided to just take him at his word for now. I nodded, but said nothing.

The elevator car lurched to a stop, giving me a momentary light-headed queasiness. As the door opened, it occurred to me that I hadn't even noticed if we had gone up or down. Not that it mattered much - unless I needed to find my way out once I completely freaked out and ran for my life. But at this moment, I couldn't move my legs. They were heavy, as though the red carpeting had turned to quicksand. With a gentle hand, Emrys pulled me through the door.

We walked down a few more corridors, and with each step, I became more unnerved. No amount of deep breathing could ward off the shock of seeing the last hallway; dimly lit with elaborate sconces and wax candles creating an aura of moving shadows. The candles gave off the scent of spicy cinnamon, convincing me the strong fragrance had been chosen in hopes of keeping the smell of blood at bay. But the most disturbing aspect of this hallway was that each room we passed had a padlock on the outside of the door.

I had now entered the scene in the scary movie where the audience screams at the heroine to go back; but of course, she continues in her stupidity and goes on looking for all the hidden monsters and ghouls. I took in a long, slow breath, still trying to calm myself, not sure of what to expect next, or how I'd handle it. Would Fiona look dead? Would she be even paler? Would she have the need for blood immediately, or does this craving come later....? So many things flashed through my mind I couldn't catch my breath; gasping for air, I nearly blacked out from lack of oxygen.