Chapter 15. Simple Twist of Fate

Simple Twist of Fate

When I woke up, I did hear music. It seemed to be far off in the distance. Thinking back to my dreams, I no longer wondered why they called this transformation process the quickening. My senses were more acute. I felt renovated, invigorated. It seemed the blood flowing through me was electrified and alive. A cool breeze brought with it a new scent that reminded me of burning candles. Still afraid to open my eyes, I kept them closed and just listened. It sounded like the band that had played for the ball - dance music. I heard footsteps and envisioned the moment when I could open my eyes completely and see my beloved dark-haired beauty of a man.

"Emrys, will it be much longer?" I whispered.

"Shh." He placed his finger on my mouth, bringing with it a tiny flow of electrical pulses, and he repeated, "Shh."

The bed moved as he sat down next to me. I reached out for him, half sitting up, waiting for my last dose of blood. He put his hand on my forehead, gently pushing my head back into the pillow, placing the cloth back on my eyes. He ran his warm hand down to the hem of my slip, brushing my thigh lightly while pushing the slip up toward my waist. Though his touch sent goose bumps up and down my legs as he rubbed my thighs; I wondered what had happened to his steadfast resolve to wait until after our ceremony. Now I understood what Larkin meant. There was no way I could refuse Emrys even if I wanted to; with my heightened awareness, my extreme sensitivity to touch, taste, smell and sound - it would be impossible to stop him.

My skin began to glow with anticipation as he moved his hand from my thighs and caressed me with a light tickle, first on my arms and then in places I'd never been touched before. I kept my eyes closed as he brushed his hand over my breast, and then drew the straps of my slip down over my shoulders. Exposed and anxious, I managed to let the excitement of the moment excuse my newfound willingness to allow him to continue. I reasoned that the sheerness of my slip hadn't left much to the imagination anyway. And besides, we would be together forever!

He tugged at my slip, pulling it down, and I eased myself up as he took it off completely. He then stripped off my panties, leaving me completely exposed. I kept thinking that it would be better if I was further into my transformation and I could look into his eyes. And then I wondered why he wasn't kissing me...or saying a word. But he never responded to any of my thoughts... too focused on his next move?

I felt the bed move again, and when he eased himself down on top of me, I thought he seemed to be moving too fast; what about the gentle petting, cuddling, and kissing? And when he started spreading my legs with his knee, and something sharp scraped my inner thigh, I knew something wasn't quite right. He still had his clothes on - that had to be a zipper jabbing my leg. Why would he do this? I took a chance and opened an eye, at the same time lifting a corner of the cloth from my face.

No! This is not happening! God no! Horrified beyond belief, every fiber of my being screamed out in terror when I saw his hair. It was not long flowing, black hair. I saw no adoring eyes gazing at me. No sweet words of love, tenderness or delight at all. Is this real, or could I be dreaming; having a nightmare? This was not my Emrys! These eyes blazed copper and this hair was light brown. The hair of Rohan - the eyes of Rohan! A small sinister smile crept over his face as he saw my terrified look, and before I could scream he covered my mouth with his hand. Panic set in as I realized I'd never be able to fight him off. I wriggled and yanked trying desperately to get out from under him, but to no avail. He was heavier and stronger than me. I'd never succeed in moving him by myself. He had smashed his hand down on my mouth making it difficult for me to breathe, and his body - heavy on my chest didn't help matters. Scared to death; every part of my body screamed out in pain. Seeing his leer of anticipation made me think he had actually turned into that ugly, evil clown.