Chapter 6

"Starling! Starling wake up! Wake up! Please!"

Mango shook Starling awake desperately.

"Wh.. wha..." Starling slurred as he sat up, still drowsy.

It was so early in the morning the sun had hardly risen yet, it's light just barely over the horizon.

"Fire! Fire!" Mango frantically pointed to the billowing smoke and orange glow in the distance.

Mango had lost all of her disguise; now pale green with fear.

"Three moons..." Starling spoke, "that's big."

"Wait," Mango froze, "isn't a Mudwing village that way? What if their home is on fire?"

"That would be... not good," Starling said, terrified.

Is this what the Rainwings worried would happen with him around? Their homes on fire, their towns turned to ash.

"We have to go see!" Mango exclaimed, "we have to help them!"

Mango leapt into the air, zooming away in the direction of the fire. Starling barely had time to react. By the time Starling had lifted off into the air, she was out of sight. Starling flew to the fire. The scene he found was gruesome. Mudwing homes on fire, burnt Mudwing bodies everywhere. Who did this? Why would anyone do this?

Starling touched down in the singed, smoke filled streets.

"Mango!" he called, "Mango!? Where'd you go!?"

Starling heard talonsteps approaching.

"Mango?" he questioned, "is that you?"

The talonsteps grew closer, and louder.

"Mango-"

Suddenly something jumped out and grabbed him, swiftly pushing him into an abandoned half burnt Mudwing home. It took Starling a moment for his eyes to readjust to the dark space. The dragon who'd pushed him was a Skywing wearing a strange mask over his face.

"I-"

The Skywing put a talon on Starling's snout, shushing him.

Who is this? What is he doing?

The Skywing watched through the dark doorway intently, his eyes glaring through the holes in his mask. He was silent, and serious.

The talonsteps grew closer, and closer, until a bright orange Skywing came into view outside. She glared around angrily. Her scales were almost... glowing? With smoke pouring out of them. The Skywing hissed in frustration before taking off into the sky and out of sight.

The masked Skywing sighed then turned to Starling.

"Are you alright?" he asked him.

"Y-yeah," Starling stammered, "I think so..."

The Skywing let go of Starling and examined him.

"Oh," he spoke, "I thought you were a Mudwing dragonet. But you're a... Skywing. You're scales are so strange."

"Who are you?" Starling asked.

"Hurricane," the Skywing answered quickly, poking his head outside to look around, "now come on. It wont be long before the rest of the Wings get here."

"The Wings?" Starling questioned as Hurricane pulled him outside.

"The Wings of Power, salamander brains!" Hurricane exclaimed, lifting off into the air and motioning for Starling to follow, "what Skywing doesn't know about them already!?"

Starling took off into the air.

The Wings of Power. He knows them! Maybe he can bring me to my parents!

"Who are they?" Starling questioned, "who are the Wings of Power?"

The sun was beginning to rise now, and Starling could see the mountains in the distance. Starling could see Hurricane a bit better now. He was slim pale orange Skywing with a red mask and tough black armor. His scales looked a lot less fiery than other Skywings Starling had seen. Hurricane's scales were more like sand than fire.

"You don't know?" Hurricane questioned, "where have you been?"

"The rainforest, actually," Starling answered.

Hurricane growled, "I'll explain everything later. There's a cave in the Claws of the Clouds mountains where we can hide."

"Okay..." Starling nodded.

As they flew off Starling found himself worrying about Mango. Where was she? Had she been captured? Or worse... killed? The thought gave Starling chills. He had to find her. But for now he had to run. He could come back for her later.